Relate inclined plane's angle of incline to FBD's weight COM

In summary, the conversation is about showing the relationship between an inclined plane's angle of incline, θ, and the angle used to find the components of gravity force. The individual is looking for a way to communicate this relationship to students and requests a proof using the parallel line theorem. They are also appreciative of any help and discussion on the topic.
Tyrannosaurus_
Please show me the relationship that proves how an inclined plane's angle of incline, θ, is equal to the angle used to find the components of gravity force.

I know that the angles are the same, but I'd like a way to show it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• frictionincline.gif
    frictionincline.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the reply! I do appreciate your help, and support.
I understand similar triangles.

I am looking for a relationship that is simple to communicate with students. Currently, I use a physical model with a weighted string, & some cardboard arrows to show the x & y axis.

All help & discussion is appreciated.
I would appreciate it a little more if you could find, or show me the relationship explicitly; instead of, implying the relationship is there, & I'm too stupid to figure it out. I'd like the proof. I expect parallel line theorem is used. Is this true? Can someone show this to me, please.

Thank you!

Elegant & Exact.
A sincere Thank You!

Related to Relate inclined plane's angle of incline to FBD's weight COM

1. How does the angle of incline affect the weight on an inclined plane?

The angle of incline of an inclined plane plays a crucial role in determining the weight of an object on the plane. As the angle of incline increases, the component of the weight acting perpendicular to the surface of the plane also increases. This means that the weight of the object appears to be greater when the angle of incline is steeper.

2. How does the angle of incline affect the center of mass on an inclined plane?

The center of mass (COM) of an object on an inclined plane is affected by the angle of incline. As the angle of incline increases, the force of gravity acting on the object shifts, causing the COM to move closer to the base of the inclined plane. This is because the steeper the incline, the greater the component of the weight acting in the downward direction.

3. Can the weight on an inclined plane be greater than the actual weight of the object?

No, the weight of an object on an inclined plane cannot be greater than its actual weight. However, as mentioned earlier, the perceived weight of the object may be greater due to the angle of incline and the shift in the force of gravity.

4. How does the angle of incline affect the forces in a free body diagram (FBD) on an inclined plane?

The angle of incline is a crucial factor in determining the forces in a FBD on an inclined plane. The weight of the object, which is always acting straight downwards, needs to be resolved into its components parallel and perpendicular to the plane. These components then affect the other forces in the FBD, such as friction and normal force.

5. Is there an optimal angle of incline for an inclined plane to minimize the weight of an object?

Yes, there is an optimal angle of incline for an object on an inclined plane to experience the minimum weight. This angle is equal to 90 degrees, meaning that the plane is completely vertical. In this case, the weight of the object is acting directly downwards, and there is no component of the weight acting parallel to the plane. However, this is not a practical angle for most applications, and a shallower angle of incline is often used to minimize the weight of an object on an inclined plane.