Related Rates / Calculating Rate of Change

In summary: When there are 4000 fish, the number of pollutants is not 32000. What is it?And when there are 4000 fish, what is the level of pollution (x)?In summary, a lake is polluted by water from a plant located on its shore. Ecologists have determined that when the level of pollutant is x parts per million (ppm), there will be F fish in the lake. When there are 4,000 fish in the lake, the pollution is increasing at a rate of 1.4ppm/year. To find the rate at which the fish population is changing (dF/dt), use the chain rule: dF/dt = dF/dx * dx/d
JacksonSolo

Homework Statement

A lake is polluted by water from a plant located on its shore. Ecologist determine that when the level of pollutant is x parts per million (ppm), there will be F fish in the lake. When there are 4,000 fish in the lake, the pollution is increasing at a rate of 1.4ppm/year. At what rate is the fish population changing at that time?

Homework Equations

F = [itex]\frac{32,000}{3+\sqrt{x}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so if I understand correctly, I am trying to find the change in F over the change in time (one year) or:[itex]\frac{dF}{dt}[/itex]. They give me [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = 1.4. But I don't know how to use that to find [itex]\frac{dF}{dt}[/itex]. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
JacksonSolo said:

Homework Statement

A lake is polluted by water from a plant located on its shore. Ecologist determine that when the level of pollutant is x parts per million (ppm), there will be F fish in the lake. When there are 4,000 fish in the lake, the pollution is increasing at a rate of 1.4ppm/year. At what rate is the fish population changing at that time?

Homework Equations

F = [itex]\frac{32,000}{3+\sqrt{x}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so if I understand correctly, I am trying to find the change in F over the change in time (one year) or:[itex]\frac{dF}{dt}[/itex]. They give me [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = 1.4. But I don't know how to use that to find [itex]\frac{dF}{dt}[/itex]. Any ideas?

Use the chain rule: dF/dt = dF/dx * dx/dt.

I tried that, but isn't the derivative of F just equal to 1? I really can't understand this problem. Its on the practice test for our upcoming final and I have never even seen anything like it before. But I really would like to understand it in case something like it shows up on our final though.

Cause I've used that form before for like price elasticity when [itex]\frac{dx}{dp}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{p}{x}[/itex]. But i don't understand how it would work here.

And by the way, this is a related rates problem right? And not an exponential growth model?

JacksonSolo said:
I tried that, but isn't the derivative of F just equal to 1?
No. Show me how you calculated dF/dx.
JacksonSolo said:
I really can't understand this problem. Its on the practice test for our upcoming final and I have never even seen anything like it before. But I really would like to understand it in case something like it shows up on our final though.

Cause I've used that form before for like price elasticity when [itex]\frac{dx}{dp}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{p}{x}[/itex]. But i don't understand how it would work here.

And by the way, this is a related rates problem right? And not an exponential growth model?

Yes, this is a related rates problem.

You are given the relationship between pollution level x and the number of fish F, and need to find the rate at which the fish population is changing, dF/dt.

Oh I see, [itex]\frac{df}{dx}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-3x^{-3/2}}{2}[/itex]? So [itex]\frac{df}{dx}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-3x^{-3/2}}{2}[/itex] * 1.4?

JacksonSolo said:
Oh I see, [itex]\frac{df}{dx}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-3x^{-3/2}}{2}[/itex]? So [itex]\frac{df}{dx}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-3x^{-3/2}}{2}[/itex] * 1.4?
Just how did you go from
F = 32000/(3 + √x)

to dF/dx = (-3/2)x-3/2?

Also, you are treating dx/dt as if it were a constant (1.4). It isn't. This is the rate of change of pollutant at a particular time, the time when there are 4,000 fish. You will also need to figure out what the value of x is at this same time.

I derived it. 32000 & 3 are constants so they cancel out and you are left with 1/[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] with is 1/x[itex]^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] which is just x[itex]^{\frac{-1}{2}}[/itex] Then you add one to the exponent and multiply it in front of x which gives you (-3/2)x[itex]^{-3/2}[/itex].

Oh ok, so I rewrite the original equation in terms of x in order to find out how many pollutants are in the lake when there are 4000 fish.

That gives me (3+[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex])*(4000) = 32000. Which simplifies to x = 25 ([itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] = 5) Is that right?

JacksonSolo said:
I derived it. 32000 & 3 are constants so they cancel out and you are left with 1/[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]
You're kidding, right?

What you said is so incorrect, it's hard to know what to tell you.

What differentiation rules have you heard of?

BTW, you don't "derive" a function - you differentiate it to get the derivative.
JacksonSolo said:
with is 1/x[itex]^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] which is just x[itex]^{\frac{-1}{2}}[/itex] Then you add one to the exponent and multiply it in front of x which gives you (-3/2)x[itex]^{-3/2}[/itex].

Oh ok, so I rewrite the original equation in terms of x in order to find out how many pollutants are in the lake when there are 4000 fish.

That gives me (3+[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex])*(4000) = 32000. Which simplifies to x = 25 ([itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] = 5) Is that right?
At least you're on the right track, but x = 25 and √x = 5 are both incorrect.

x does not represent the number of pollutants in the lake - presumably there is one pollutant. x represents the parts per million of that pollutant.

Related to Related Rates / Calculating Rate of Change

1. What is the concept of related rates?

The concept of related rates is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another quantity. It involves finding the derivative of both quantities and setting them equal to each other, then solving for the unknown rate of change.

2. How do you solve related rates problems?

To solve related rates problems, you first need to identify all the relevant quantities and their rates of change. Then, you can use known relationships between these quantities to set up an equation and take the derivative with respect to time. Finally, you can solve for the unknown rate of change using algebraic manipulation.

3. What are some common examples of related rates problems?

Examples of related rates problems include calculating the rate at which the radius of a circle is changing as its area changes, finding the speed of a car as it drives away from a fixed point, and determining the rate at which the length of a shadow changes as the angle of the sun changes.

4. What is the difference between related rates and ordinary derivatives?

The main difference between related rates and ordinary derivatives is that related rates involve finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another quantity, while ordinary derivatives involve finding the instantaneous rate of change of a single variable.

5. How can I check if my solution to a related rates problem is correct?

To check if your solution to a related rates problem is correct, you can plug your answer back into the original equation and see if it satisfies all the given conditions. You can also use real-world intuition and common sense to see if your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.