Related Rates - Differential Equations

In summary, the ladder, which is 13m long, is sliding horizontally away from the wall at a rate of 2ms-1. The top of the ladder is sliding down the wall at a rate of -4.8ms-1. The angle subtended from the ground by the ladder is changing at a rate of -y/x^2. The use of implicit differentiation and the chain rule is necessary in this problem.
Cilabitaon

Homework Statement

A ladder, of length 13m, is leaning against a wall. The base of the ladder begins to slide, frictionless, away from the wall; by the time the base is horizontally 12m away from the wall it is moving at a rate of 2ms-1

a)How fast is the top of the ladder sliding down the wall?

b)At what rate is the angle subtended from the ground by the ladder changing by?

Homework Equations

Assuming that
[tex]\dot{y} = \frac{dy}{dt}[/tex],
[tex]\dot{x} = \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex],
[tex]y' = \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]y' = \dot{y} \times \dot{x}^{-1}[/tex] (chain rule)
Implicit Differentiation(basic)
Pythagoras' Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

First I drew a right angle triangle with the ladder as the hypotenuse and labelled the sides y(the wall) and x(the ground).

Then I get that, when;
[tex]x = 12 , \dot{x} = 2[/tex]

Also;
[tex]y = \sqrt{13^{2} - x^{2}}[/tex]

The next part I did only because I had to use implicit differentiation at some point in this.

[tex]y^{2} = 13^{2} - x^{2}[/tex]

[tex]2yy' = -2x[/tex]

[tex] y' = \frac{-2x}{2y}[/tex]

Now rearrange the chain rule equation to get;

[tex]\dot{y} = y' \times \dot{x}[/tex]

[tex]\dot{y} = \frac{-4x}{2y}[/tex]

[tex]\dot{y} = \frac{-2x}{y}[/tex]

To which I then sub in my values for when x = 12

[tex]\dot{y} = \frac{-2(12)}{({13^{2} - 12^{2})^{\frac{1}{2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\dot{y} = -4.8ms^{-1}[/tex]

I think the first part is right, but I am having trouble with part (b)

I assume it has something to do with
[tex]\tan\Theta = \frac{y}{x}[/tex]

But I can't differentiate that(actually, I can, I just can't seem to get any sensible kind of answer).

All I'm thinking right now is;
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(\tan\Theta) = -\frac{y}{x^2}[/tex]

Does anybody know if this is the right way to go?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you're looking for dθ/dt, try differentiating with respect to t instead of x.

vela said:
Since you're looking for dθ/dt, try differentiating with respect to t instead of x.

I would, but the point is I have to use the chain rule as many times as I can. The points scored in the exercise are 5 for a correct answer and 2 for either the use of implicit differentiation or the chain rule. This is basic, I know, but we fail if we get less than 16 points.

You get to use the chain rule and implicit differentiation if you differentiate with respect to t.

Related to Related Rates - Differential Equations

What is the concept of related rates in differential equations?

The concept of related rates in differential equations refers to the relationship between the rates of change of two or more related variables. It involves using the derivatives of these variables to determine how their rates of change are related to each other.

How do you approach solving related rates problems?

The key to solving related rates problems is to first identify the variables involved and the relationship between them. Then, use calculus techniques such as implicit differentiation and the chain rule to find the derivatives. Finally, use the given information to set up and solve an equation involving the derivatives.

What are some real-life applications of related rates?

Related rates have many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. One example is using related rates to determine the rate at which the volume of a balloon is changing as it is being inflated.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems include not properly identifying the variables and their relationships, forgetting to take the derivatives, and not setting up the equation correctly. It is important to carefully read the problem and make sure all given information is accounted for.

How does the concept of related rates connect to other areas of math and science?

The concept of related rates is closely related to the concept of derivatives in calculus. It is also used in physics to study the motion of objects and in economics to analyze supply and demand. It connects to other areas of science by providing a method for analyzing the rates of change of various quantities.

Back