Related Rates, find d(theta)/dt

In summary, the problem is to find d(theta)/dt at different values of theta when a plane is approaching an observer from an altitude of 5 mi at a dx/dt of 600 mi/h. The relevant equations are tan(theta) = x/y and 5csc(theta) = r. The attempt at a solution involves using the formula 3000/(5csc(theta))^2, but this is incorrect according to the text. A better approach is to use tan(theta) = height/distance and the fact that the horizontal distance is decreasing at 600 mi/h to find d(theta)/dt.
kingdomof

Homework Statement

A plane is approaching an observer from an altitude of 5 mi at a dx/dt of 600 mi/h. Find the d(theta)/dt when theta is 30 degrees, 60 degrees, and 75 degrees.

Homework Equations

tan(theta) = x/y
5csc(theta) = r

The Attempt at a Solution

For my d(theta)/dt I had the formula of 3000/(5csc(theta))^2

The answers I had were wrong according to the text.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
kingdomof said:

Homework Statement

A plane is approaching an observer from an altitude of 5 mi at a dx/dt of 600 mi/h. Find the d(theta)/dt when theta is 30 degrees, 60 degrees, and 75 degrees.

Homework Equations

tan(theta) = x/y
5csc(theta) = r

The Attempt at a Solution

For my d(theta)/dt I had the formula of 3000/(5csc(theta))^2

The answers I had were wrong according to the text.

Please help.

You have too many variables. All you need are two: one for the horizontal distance and one for the angle.

I presume that y is the altitude of the plane, which is given and is not changing. I'm guessing that r is the length of the hypotenuse of the right triangle. Keep in mind that if x is the horizontal distance, it is decreasing because the plane is approaching the observer, so dx/dt will necessarily be negative.

I have no idea how you got what you have for d(theta)/dt.

All you need is [itex]tan(\theta)= height/distance[/itex]. You are told that the height is always 5 mi and that the distance is decreasing at 600 mi/hr.

With [itex]\theta= arctan(500/x)[/itex], what is [itex]d\theta/dx[/itex] and from that what is [itex]d\theta/dt[/itex]?

FAQ: Related Rates, find d(theta)/dt

What is the concept of related rates?

The concept of related rates involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable, when the two variables are related by an equation.

What is the formula for finding related rates?

The formula for finding related rates is dA/dt = (dA/dx)(dx/dt), where A is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable.

How do you find d(theta)/dt?

To find d(theta)/dt, you will need to use the chain rule. First, differentiate the equation with respect to theta. Then, multiply by d(theta)/dt on both sides and solve for d(theta)/dt.

What are some real-life applications of related rates?

Related rates can be applied in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some examples include determining the rate of change of the volume of a balloon as it is inflated, finding the rate of change of the angle between two moving objects, and calculating the rate of change of a population over time.

What are some tips for solving related rates problems?

Some tips for solving related rates problems include identifying the variables and their relationships, drawing a diagram to visualize the situation, and carefully applying the chain rule. It is also important to pay attention to units and to check your answer for reasonableness.

Back