Related Rates: Flagpole and Moving Car

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a flag attached to a 120 ft rope on a 40 ft flagpole. The flag is being raised as a car drives away from the flagpole at 3ft/sec. By setting up a right triangle with the hypotenuse as the rope and using the Pythagorean theorem, it is determined that the speed at which the flag is rising is equal to the speed at which the car is driving, which is 2.75 ft/sec.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

A flagpole 40 ft high stands on level ground. A flag is attached to a 120 ft rope passing through a pulley at the top of the flagpole. The other end of the rope is tied to a car at ground level. If the car is driving directly away from the flagpole at 3ft/sec, how fast is the flag rising when the top of the flag is 20 ft off the ground.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used z for the hypotenuse x for the flat leg and y for the vertical leg, I used the fact that the rope is 120 ft to set up z = 120-y where y is how far the flag has risen. So i got (120-y)^2 = x^2 + y^2 I took the derivative ended up with -240dy/dt = 2x(dx/dt) and plugged knowns into get dy/dt of -2.5 can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all wouldn't z=80+y? Because when the flag has not risen at all, then there are 40ft of rope going up the pole, then 80 going down to the car for a total of 120ft. Then when the flag is at it's max height, y=40, then 80+40=120 and all the rope is from the top to the car, right? Maybe that will help you a little . . .

well i decided to set it up a differnet way z^2 = 40^2 +x^2 since the 40will remain the same shouldn't the changing of z be the same as the changing of the flag going up.

so then 2z(dz/dt)=2x(dx/dt) after plugging in knowns I got 2.75 for dz/dt

can anyone verify this ?

Last edited:
anyone?

Ok. z is hypotenuse, x is horizontal distance. i) What's the height of the flag? ii) What's a relation between z and x in this right triangle?

the height of the flag is 120-z ? the relation between z and x is where I am kind of confused

I would say the height of the flag is 40-(120-z). The rope is 120ft long, the leftover rope after spanning the hypotenuse is 120-z, so draped from the top of a 40ft pole, the height is 40-(120-z). Do you agree? z and x are hypotenuse and leg of a right triangle. The other leg is 40ft. That part should be easy.

ah yes I do agree with that, I think I am thinking to far into the x and z relationship

is the way that x is related to z just through the Pythagorean theorem

physstudent1 said:
is the way that x is related to z just through the Pythagorean theorem

Absolutely.

so then is the way I did it before correct

z^2 = x^2 +40^2 then derive to get

2z(dz/dt) = 2x(dx/dt) plug in known information and get 2.75 for dz/dt which would be the same rate of change as the flag going up since its the same rope

Yep. That looks ok.

thanks for the help

Related to Related Rates: Flagpole and Moving Car

What is a related rate in the context of a rising flag?

A related rate in the context of a rising flag refers to the rate at which the height of the flagpole changes as the flag is raised or lowered. This can be calculated using the chain rule in calculus.

How do you set up a related rate problem for a rising flag?

To set up a related rate problem for a rising flag, you will need to identify the variables involved and their rates of change. This will typically include the height of the flagpole, the length of the flag, and the rate at which the flag is being raised or lowered. You will then use the chain rule to find the related rate of change between these variables.

What is the formula for calculating the related rate of a rising flag?

The formula for calculating the related rate of a rising flag is given by:
dH/dt = (1/2)(dL/dt) * (H/L)
where dH/dt is the rate of change of the height of the flagpole, dL/dt is the rate of change of the length of the flag, and H and L are the current height and length of the flag respectively.

What are some real-life applications of related rates in a rising flag?

Related rates in a rising flag have various real-life applications, such as determining the speed of a flag being raised or lowered, calculating the height of a flagpole based on the length of the flag and its rate of change, and designing mechanisms for raising and lowering flags efficiently.

What are some common mistakes made when solving related rate problems for a rising flag?

Some common mistakes made when solving related rate problems for a rising flag include using incorrect units, forgetting to use the chain rule, and not considering all the variables involved. It is also important to carefully label and define each variable in the problem to avoid confusion.