Related Rates Help: Solve Distance Change in 1 Sec

In summary, the balloon is rising at a constant rate of 15 ft/sec and the car is moving at a constant rate of 66 ft/sec. The distance between them is changing at a rate of 2.9 ft/sec after 1 second. Another method suggests a rate of 33.7 ft/sec at the same time, but there is no conclusive answer.
ashleyk
A balloon is 200 ft. off the ground and rising vertically at the constant rate of 15 ft/sec. An automobile passes beneath it traveling along a straight road at the constant rate of 45 mph or 66 ft/sec. How fast is the distance between them changing 1 sec. later?

i know how to do related rates problems...i just don't know where to start with this one...please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what the answer is?

Personally I would just say: "There is no telling what the rate of change of the baloon and of the car will be 1 second later"... maybe a big wind will blow the balloon sideway and maybe in 0.5 seconds later the car will crash into a tree.

here is my suggestion, have to wait for some one else to check to see if its right.

i formed a right angled triangle
the vertical side has length 200+15t, the horizontal side has length 66t and let the hypotenuse be x.
we want to find dx/dt
using pythagorus we get x^2=291t^2+600t+40000
from this calculate dx/dt
pop in t=1 second to get dx/dt=2.9ft/s

I did sort of the same thing, creating a right triangle with sides x, y, and hyp of d. the taking d^2=x^2+y^2, then taking the derivative, getting d(dd/dt)=x(dx/dt)+y(dy/dt), then subbing in the given numbers, and finding d after one second, I get (224.9ft)(dd/dt)=(66ft)(66ft/sec)+(215ft)(15ft/sec), and when solved, I get (dd/dt)=33.7ft/sec at t=1

Related to Related Rates Help: Solve Distance Change in 1 Sec

What is a related rate problem?

A related rate problem is a type of calculus problem that involves finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another, using given information and the chain rule.

What is the general approach to solving a related rate problem?

The general approach to solving a related rate problem is to identify the relevant variables and their rates of change, set up an equation that relates these variables, take the derivative with respect to time, plug in the known values, and solve for the unknown rate of change.

How do you know when to use the chain rule in a related rate problem?

You should use the chain rule in a related rate problem when the rate of change of one variable depends on the rate of change of another variable.

What are some common applications of related rate problems?

Related rate problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to analyze and predict changes in quantities such as distance, volume, and temperature.

Can you provide an example of a related rate problem and its solution?

Yes, for example, if a ladder is sliding down a wall at a rate of 2 feet per second and the base of the ladder is 6 feet away from the wall, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to set up the equation x^2 + 6^2 = (10 + x)^2, where x is the height of the ladder. Taking the derivative with respect to time, we get 2x(dx/dt) = 2(10 + x)(dx/dt). Plugging in the known values, we can solve for dx/dt, which is the rate at which the base of the ladder is moving.