Related Rates Problem: Calculating Change in Distance of a Bird and Squirrel

In summary: With calculus its easy to show that the biggest area with four sides is a square. If you don't believe me try setting up a sample problem setting the perimeter to sum of all sides and the area to the appropriate product and use calculus to find max,min and therefore optimal size.With this said, I would go with Char Limits suggestion of finding the area of the square taking into account the amount of fence needed to divide the three pens. Adding this constraint you will be able to find the dimensions of the "total square" and its sub-rectangles.
madeeeeee
Related Rates Promlem, Please Help!

Homework Statement

A bird of prey is perched at the top of a tree that is 40 m high. The bird watches as a delectable Kingston squirrel runs away from the base of the tree at a rate of 2 m/s. What is the rate of change of the distance between the bird and the squirrel when the squirrel is 30 m from the tree?

I know:

y=height of tree so y=40 m
x=distance of base from tree so x= 30 m
d=distance from bird to squirrel
dx/dt=2m/s
dd/dt=? when squirrel is 3 m from tree

with pythag theorm: 40^2+30^2=50^2
so d= 50 m

x2 + y2 = d2
f'(x) = 2x (dx/dt) + 2y(dy/dt)=2d(dd/dt)

This is how far i have come and now i am stuck. Please help with this question. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

madeeeeee said:

Homework Statement

A bird of prey is perched at the top of a tree that is 40 m high. The bird watches as a delectable Kingston squirrel runs away from the base of the tree at a rate of 2 m/s. What is the rate of change of the distance between the bird and the squirrel when the squirrel is 30 m from the tree?

I know:

y=height of tree so y=40 m
x=distance of base from tree so x= 30 m
d=distance from bird to squirrel
dx/dt=2m/s
dd/dt=? when squirrel is 3 m from tree

with pythag theorm: 40^2+30^2=50^2
so d= 50 m

x2 + y2 = d2
f'(x) = 2x (dx/dt) + 2y(dy/dt)=2d(dd/dt)

This is how far i have come and now i am stuck. Please help with this question. Thank you

Well, what's dy/dt? You've got everything else you need to solve the problem, right?

actually i just solved it and i got an answer of dd/dt = 6/5 m/s

madeeeeee said:
actually i just solved it and i got an answer of dd/dt = 6/5 m/s

Hmm. Can't disagree with that. dy/dt=0, right?

I have another question:
I can afford to purchase 2000 m of fencing to create three, adjacent pens for my pigs. Find the dimensions of the pig pens so the fence encloses the largest possible area.

I'm having trouble drawing the picture of what the pen looks like

dickdick said:
Hmm. Can't disagree with that. dy/dt=0, right?

yes i believe so

madeeeeee said:
I have another question:
I can afford to purchase 2000 m of fencing to create three, adjacent pens for my pigs. Find the dimensions of the pig pens so the fence encloses the largest possible area.

It should be a rectangle with 3 segments.

Ok I see and what is the equation l*h(2)?

Char. Limit said:
It should be a rectangle with 3 segments.

Might be. Any particular reason to assume that? I think madeeeeee could legitimately ask for a more detailed description of the geometry to be optimized. As stated, it's pretty vague.

dickdick said:
Might be. Any particular reason to assume that? I think madeeeeee could legitimately ask for a more detailed description of the geometry to be optimized. As stated, it's pretty vague.

Well, I suppose that they could form an L-shape. Still, you have a limited amount of options.

What would be the equation from the figure

madeeeeee said:
I have another question:

With calculus its easy to show that the biggest area with four sides is a square. If you don't believe me try setting up a sample problem setting the perimeter to sum of all sides and the area to the appropriate product and use calculus to find max,min and therefore optimal size.

With this said, I would go with Char Limits suggestion of finding the area of the square taking into account the amount of fence needed to divide the three pens. Adding this constraint you will be able to find the dimensions of the "total square" and its sub-rectangles.

Related to Related Rates Problem: Calculating Change in Distance of a Bird and Squirrel

What is a related rates problem?

A related rates problem is a mathematical problem in which the rates of change of two or more related quantities are being studied. These problems typically involve finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another quantity, and can be solved using the principles of calculus.

What is the process for solving a related rates problem?

The process for solving a related rates problem involves identifying the quantities that are changing and how they are related, setting up an equation that represents this relationship, differentiating the equation with respect to time, and then substituting in the known values to solve for the unknown rate of change.

What are some common real-life examples of related rates problems?

Some common real-life examples of related rates problems include finding the rate at which the height of a tree is changing as its shadow moves, determining the speed at which a ladder is sliding down a wall as it is being pulled away, and calculating the rate at which the water level in a cone-shaped tank is changing as water is being poured in.

What are some common techniques for solving related rates problems?

Some common techniques for solving related rates problems include using similar triangles, the Pythagorean theorem, and the chain rule in calculus. It is also important to carefully define the variables and their relationships in order to set up an accurate equation for differentiation.

What are some common challenges when solving related rates problems?

Some common challenges when solving related rates problems include accurately setting up the equation and identifying the correct rates of change, understanding the relationships between the variables, and differentiating the equation correctly. It is also important to pay attention to units and use appropriate mathematical techniques to solve the problem.