Related rates problem involving a piston (simple)

In summary, we are given a piston that starts moving into a cylindrical chamber at a constant speed of 3 cm/s. The piston is initially seated at the top of the chamber with a radius of 5 cm. To find the rate of change of the volume of the cylinder, we use the equation V = (pi) r^2 h and implicit differentiation to get V' = 25 pi h'. Plugging in the rate of change of height, h', as 3 cm/s, we get V' = 75 pi cm^3/s. The base height, h=2, is not relevant in this problem as it is a uniform for a cylinder. Therefore, the correct answer is V' = 75 pi
stf

Homework Statement

A piston is seated at the top of a cylindrical chamber with radius 5 cm when it starts moving into the chamber at a constant speed of 3 cm/s. What is the rate of change of the volume of the cylinder when the piston is 2cm from the base of the chamber?

Homework Equations

V = (pi) r^2 h

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am trying to find V'

1) V = (pi) (5)^2 h (from radius 5 cm)
2) V = 25 (pi) h
3) V' = 25 pi h' (implicit differentation)
4) V' = 25 pi (3 cm/s)(going by the chamber height, eg the top of the cylinder changes?)
5) V' = 75 pi cm^2/s

So what I am slightly unsure of, if this is correct (and I feel it probably isn't) is where exactly does the h=2 come in?

Any help is appreciated, this section is killing me :(

Physics news on Phys.org
It's almost right. What are units for volume? not cm2.

SammyS said:
It's almost right. What are units for volume? not cm2.

Yes, it should actually be cubed, thanks!

Is the actual calculus I am doing correct? Also why am I not using the base h=2? I feel I am missing something else in this problem.

The base is uniform for a cylinder. i.e. it's a constant.

BTW: the "2 cm form bottom" is unimportant for this problem.

YES! - except for that units thing: I'm quite sure you did this correctly!

SammyS said:
The base is uniform for a cylinder. i.e. it's a constant.

BTW: the "2 cm form bottom" is unimportant for this problem.

YES! - except for that units thing: I'm quite sure you did this correctly!

Ok, thank you for the help!

Related to Related rates problem involving a piston (simple)

1. What is a related rates problem involving a piston?

A related rates problem involving a piston is a type of mathematical problem in which the rate of change of one variable is related to the rate of change of another variable. In this case, the variables are the volume of the piston and the height of the piston.

2. How do you solve a related rates problem involving a piston?

To solve a related rates problem involving a piston, you need to set up an equation that relates the variables (volume and height) and their rates of change. Then, you can use the chain rule and implicit differentiation to find the derivative of the equation with respect to time. Finally, you can plug in the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

3. What are some real-life examples of related rates problems involving a piston?

One example of a real-life related rates problem involving a piston is the filling of a water tank. As the water flows into the tank, the height of the water (related to the volume of the tank) changes. Another example is the compression of a gas in a cylinder, where the volume of the gas (related to the height of the piston) changes.

4. What are the common mistakes when solving a related rates problem involving a piston?

One common mistake when solving a related rates problem involving a piston is not properly identifying the variables and their rates of change. Another mistake is using the wrong formula or equation to relate the variables. It is also important to carefully differentiate the equation and properly substitute the given values.

5. How can I check my answer for a related rates problem involving a piston?

You can check your answer for a related rates problem involving a piston by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also graph the equation to see if your answer makes sense in relation to the problem scenario. Additionally, you can use an online calculator or ask a math teacher or tutor for validation.