Related Rates Problem that I am getting wrong.

In summary: When I put the parentheses in, it changed the equation to (2h)^{2}h which is what I needed. In summary, the volume of sand is increasing by 16 cubic feet per second, however it is incorrect to use the equation given because the extra 2h disappears.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Sand is pouring from a pipe at the rate of 16 cubic feet per second. If the falling sand forms a conical pile on the ground whose altitude is always 1/4 the diameter of the base, how fast is the altitude increasing when the pile is 4 feet high?

Homework Equations

[itex]V = \frac{1}{3}\pi r^{2}h[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, since I am given that the altitude is 1/4 of the diameter, I rearrange the volume formula.

1/4(2)r = h
1/2r = h
r = 2h

So:

[itex]V = \frac{1}{3}\pi 2h^{2}h[/itex]
or

[itex]V = \frac{1}{3}\pi 2h^{3}[/itex]

Second, I'm given the rate of volume increase as 16, so [itex]\frac{dV}{dt}=16[/itex]

Differentiation of both sides of the volume equation gives me:

[itex]16 = 2\pi 2h^{2}\frac{dh}{dt}[/itex]

So it follows that

[itex]\frac{dh}{dt}= \frac{16}{2\pi h^{2}}[/itex]

Solving this for h = 4 gives me ~= .159155

Which is incorrect.

Can someone show me where I'm messing this up?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

Sand is pouring from a pipe at the rate of 16 cubic feet per second. If the falling sand forms a conical pile on the ground whose altitude is always 1/4 the diameter of the base, how fast is the altitude increasing when the pile is 4 feet high?

Homework Equations

[itex]V = \frac{1}{3}\pi r^{2}h[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, since I am given that the altitude is 1/4 of the diameter, I rearrange the volume formula.

1/4(2)r = h
1/2r = h
r = 2h

So:

[itex]V = \frac{1}{3}\pi 2h^{2}h[/itex]

Here's the problem, I think. You need parentheses around the 2h, like this:
[tex]V = \frac{1}{3}\pi (2h)^{2}h = \frac{1}{3}\pi 4h^{3} = \frac{4}{3}\pi h^{3}[/tex]

1MileCrash said:
[itex]16 = 2\pi 2h^{2}\frac{dh}{dt}[/itex]
Ignoring the mistake from earlier, I don't know where that extra 2 came from.

1MileCrash said:
So it follows that

[itex]\frac{dh}{dt}= \frac{16}{2\pi h^{2}}[/itex]
Now that extra 2 disappeared.

You really need to take care in typing in the equations.

Last edited:
Check your differentiation of

[tex]V \, = \, \frac{1}{3} \pi (2) h^{3}[/tex]

I think you made a small mistake in there. All your work seems ok to that point.

(P.S. sorry for basically a repeat of what the poster above pointed out. At the time I clicked on "reply" there were no responses posted)

Last edited:
My problem was indeed the volume formula. I needed (2h)(2h).

Related to Related Rates Problem that I am getting wrong.

1. What is a related rates problem?

A related rates problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable, given a relationship between the two variables. These types of problems are commonly found in calculus and physics.

2. How do I know when to use related rates?

You can identify a related rates problem when you are given a relationship between two or more variables and asked to find the rate of change of one of the variables with respect to time. This can include rates such as speed, volume, or area.

3. What are some common mistakes made in related rates problems?

Some common mistakes in related rates problems include not identifying all relevant variables, not properly setting up the equation, or incorrectly differentiating the equation. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

4. What is the process for solving a related rates problem?

The general process for solving a related rates problem involves identifying all relevant variables, setting up an equation that relates the variables, differentiating the equation with respect to time, and plugging in the given values to solve for the unknown rate of change.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving related rates problems?

Practice is key in improving your skills in solving related rates problems. It is also helpful to thoroughly understand the concepts and formulas involved, and to double check your work for any mistakes. Working with a tutor or practicing with similar problems can also be beneficial.