Related rates question conical reservoir

In summary, the conical reservoir has a depth of 50m and a top diameter of 200m. Water is being pumped in at a rate of 7000m^3/min and drained out at a rate of 9000m^3/min. When the height of the water is 20m, the change in diameter is -1.6m/min.
shanshan

Homework Statement

A conical reservoir is 50m deep and 200m across the top. Water is being pumped in at a rate of 7000m^3/min, and at the same time, water is being drained out at a rate of 9000 m^3/min. What is the change in diameter when the height of the water in the reservoir is 20m?

Homework Equations

v=(1/3)pi(r^2)(h)

The Attempt at a Solution

h=(.5r)
v=(1/3)(pi)(r^2)(.5r)
=(1/6)(pi)(r^3)
v'=(.5)(pi)(r^2)(r')

7000=.5pi(40^2)(r')
= 2.785
-9000= .5pi(40^2)(r')
=-3.581

2.785-3.581 = -0.796 m/min

my answer, however, is supposed to be -1.6m/min

Physics news on Phys.org
shanshan said:

Homework Statement

A conical reservoir is 50m deep and 200m across the top. Water is being pumped in at a rate of 7000m^3/min, and at the same time, water is being drained out at a rate of 9000 m^3/min. What is the change in diameter when the height of the water in the reservoir is 20m?

Homework Equations

v=(1/3)pi(r^2)(h)

The Attempt at a Solution

h=(.5r)
v=(1/3)(pi)(r^2)(.5r)
=(1/6)(pi)(r^3)
v'=(.5)(pi)(r^2)(r')

7000=.5pi(40^2)(r')
= 2.785
-9000= .5pi(40^2)(r')
=-3.581

2.785-3.581 = -0.796 m/min

my answer, however, is supposed to be -1.6m/min

What is (40^2) ?

I got the 40 from h=.5r and r=20

shanshan said:
I got the 40 from h=.5r and r=20

Well then, very well I suppose.

Your question is to find change in diameter, hence multiply it by 2 and you get your -1.592 ~ -1.6

AHHH silly mistake. thankyou!

Related to Related rates question conical reservoir

1. How do you determine the rate of change in a conical reservoir?

The rate of change in a conical reservoir can be determined by using the formula dV/dt = πr²dh/dt, where dV/dt is the rate of change of volume, r is the radius of the base, and dh/dt is the rate of change of height.

2. What factors affect the rate of change in a conical reservoir?

The rate of change in a conical reservoir is affected by the radius of the base, the rate of change of height, and the shape of the reservoir. Other factors such as the material of the reservoir and external forces can also play a role.

3. Can you provide an example of a related rates question involving a conical reservoir?

One example of a related rates question involving a conical reservoir is: A conical reservoir has a radius of 10 meters and a height of 20 meters. The water level is decreasing at a rate of 0.5 meters per hour. What is the rate of change of the volume of water in the reservoir?

4. How can related rates be applied to real-life situations involving conical reservoirs?

Related rates can be applied to real-life situations involving conical reservoirs to determine the rate of change of important parameters such as volume, height, and flow rate. This information can be used to monitor and maintain the reservoir, as well as make predictions for future changes.

5. Are there any limitations to using related rates in conical reservoir problems?

One limitation of using related rates in conical reservoir problems is that it assumes the shape of the reservoir is constant. In reality, the shape of the reservoir may change due to factors such as external forces or erosion, which can affect the accuracy of the calculations. Additionally, related rates may not be applicable in situations with complex or non-uniform shapes.