Related rates waliking away from light towards building

In summary, the conversation is about a related rates problem involving a man walking towards a building while a spotlight shines on it from the ground. The solution involves using relative triangles and differentiating to find the rate of change of the man's shadow as he moves.
dethnode

Homework Statement

a spotlight won the ground shines on a wall 12 m away if am man 2 m tall walks from the spotlight towards the building at a speed of 1.6 m/s how fast is the length of his shadow on the building decreasing when he si 4 m from the building?

Homework Equations

using relative triangles

The Attempt at a Solution

trying to learn related rates as well, this is what i got tell me if i am wrong here...

draw triangle ABC with A being the light, B being the base of building, and C being top of shaddow/building.

the second triangle is formend with the man and the light, using ADE, D being the mans feet and E being his head at 2 m height.

using the 2 meter horizontal from the mans height we have two relative triangles.

call the range from the light (line AD) x and call the building/shaddow (line BC) y

using the two triangles we can infer that 2/x=y/12 or xy=24

if we then differentiate relative to time 0=dx/dt * y + dy/dt * x

we then plug in 1.6 for dx/dt and 8 for x(range from the light not the building); and y=3 (using xy=24 @ x=8) and solve for dy/dt= -.6m/s which should be negative.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
wasn't this in the other posting?

yes i had already posted this, i have a new posting out titled related rates kite

dethnode said:

Homework Statement

a spotlight won the ground shines on a wall 12 m away if am man 2 m tall walks from the spotlight towards the building at a speed of 1.6 m/s how fast is the length of his shadow on the building decreasing when he si 4 m from the building?

Homework Equations

using relative triangles

The Attempt at a Solution

trying to learn related rates as well, this is what i got tell me if i am wrong here...

draw triangle ABC with A being the light, B being the base of building, and C being top of shaddow/building.

the second triangle is formend with the man and the light, using ADE, D being the mans feet and E being his head at 2 m height.

using the 2 meter horizontal from the mans height we have two relative triangles.

call the range from the light (line AD) x and call the building/shaddow (line BC) y

using the two triangles we can infer that 2/x=y/12 or xy=24

if we then differentiate relative to time 0=dx/dt * y + dy/dt * x

we then plug in 1.6 for dx/dt and 8 for x(range from the light not the building); and y=3 (using xy=24 @ x=8) and solve for dy/dt= -.6m/s which should be negative.

Is this correct?
Yes, that is correct.

dethnode said:
yes i had already posted this, i have a new posting out titled related rates kite
Please don't post the same thing more than once!

Related to Related rates waliking away from light towards building

Question 1: What are related rates and how do they apply to walking away from light towards a building?

Related rates are a mathematical concept used to analyze the rate of change of one variable in relation to the rate of change of another variable. In the case of walking away from light towards a building, related rates can be used to determine how the distance between the person and the building is changing as they walk away from a light source.

Question 2: What are the important variables to consider when using related rates to analyze this scenario?

The important variables to consider are the distance between the person and the building (represented by the variable x), the distance between the person and the light source (represented by the variable y), and the rate at which the person is moving away from the light source (represented by the variable dx/dt).

Question 3: How does the distance between the person and the building change as they walk away from the light source?

The distance between the person and the building will increase as they walk away from the light source. This change can be represented by the derivative dx/dt, which is the rate at which the distance between the person and the building is changing.

Question 4: How can the distance between the person and the light source be determined using related rates?

By using the Pythagorean theorem (x2 + y2 = d2), we can set up an equation to represent the relationship between the variables. By taking the derivative of this equation with respect to time, we can solve for dy/dt, which represents the rate at which the distance between the person and the light source is changing.

Question 5: Is it possible for the person to walk away from the light source towards the building and have the distance between them and the building decrease?

Yes, it is possible for this scenario to occur if the person is walking at a slower rate than the light is moving towards them. In this case, the distance between the person and the building would decrease. However, if they are walking at a faster rate than the light is moving towards them, the distance between them and the building will still increase.