Relating Current Density and Drift Speed

In summary: Then you can use E = pJ with the resistivity of copper to find J. Finally, you can use J = nev with n and J to find the drift speed of the conduction electrons in section 1.In summary, the question is asking for the drift speed of conduction electrons in section 1, given the dimensions of the wire, the electric potential change in section 2, and the number of charge carriers per unit volume. To find the drift speed, the resistivity of copper can be used to calculate the current density in section 2, which can then be used with the charge carrier density to find the drift speed in section 1.
Oijl

Homework Statement

The figure shows wire section 1 of diameter 4R and wire section 2 of diameter 2R, connected by a tapered section. The wire is copper and carries a current. Assume that the current is uniformly distributed across any cross-sectional area through the wire's width. The electric potential change V along the length L = 1.95 m shown in section 2 is 13.5 µV. The number of charge carriers per unit volume is 8.49 1028 m-3. What is the drift speed of the conduction electrons in section 1?

hrw7_26-28.gif

Homework Equations

J = nev
v here represents the drift speed
E = pJ
E= V/L
i = nAev
J = i / A

The Attempt at a Solution

I included a lot of equations on the basis that they have some of the known quantities in them.

I can't really see how to move from knowing what the problem gives me to come up with the drift speed.

I'm given n, the number of charge carriers per unit volume, and the only equations I have that have n in them are J = nev and i = nAev.

So I would need to know J, right? So
J = E / p
and
p = (V/L) / (i/A)
and since i = nAev (and since E = V / L)
I can write
nev = (V/L) / ((V/L) / (nAev)/A)
but then the v cancels out.

So I've gotten no where.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can look up the resistivity of copper. You can compute E in section 2 from the potential difference and length of section 2 that are given.

I would suggest starting with the basics and using the relationship between current density and drift speed, J = nev. From the given information, we know the value of n, so we can rearrange the equation to solve for v, the drift speed.

J = nev
v = J / ne

Next, we can use the given value for the current density, J, to calculate the drift speed in section 1.

J = i / A
v = (i / A) / n

We can then use the given value for the current, i, and the cross-sectional area of section 1 to solve for the drift speed, v.

v = (i / (nA)) * (1 /A)

Finally, we can use the given value for the electric potential change, V, and the length of section 2, L, to calculate the current, i, using the equation E = V/L.

i = E * A / v

Substituting this value for i into our equation for v, we can solve for the drift speed in section 1.

v = (E * A / (nA)) * (1 / A)

Therefore, the drift speed of the conduction electrons in section 1 is v = (E / n).

In conclusion, by using the relationship between current density and drift speed and the given information about the wire, we can calculate the drift speed in section 1.

Related to Relating Current Density and Drift Speed

1. What is current density and how is it related to drift speed?

Current density is a measure of the flow of electric charge in a given material or medium. It is typically represented by the symbol J and is measured in amperes per square meter (A/m^2). The drift speed, on the other hand, refers to the average speed at which charged particles move in the direction of an applied electric field. The two are related through the equation J = nev, where n is the number of charge carriers per unit volume, e is the charge of a single carrier, and v is the average drift speed. In other words, current density is directly proportional to drift speed.

2. How does the relationship between current density and drift speed vary in different materials?

The relationship between current density and drift speed remains the same in all materials, as long as the conditions are consistent. However, the specific values of n and v may vary depending on the material's properties, such as conductivity and carrier mobility.

3. Can current density and drift speed be calculated for any type of current?

Yes, current density and drift speed can be calculated for any type of current, whether it is direct current (DC) or alternating current (AC). However, the equations used to calculate them may differ slightly depending on the type of current and the material being studied.

4. How does temperature affect the relationship between current density and drift speed?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the relationship between current density and drift speed. In general, as temperature increases, the drift speed increases, leading to a higher current density. This is because higher temperatures can cause an increase in the thermal energy of charge carriers, making them move faster in the direction of the electric field.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the relationship between current density and drift speed?

Understanding the relationship between current density and drift speed is crucial in fields such as electrical engineering, material science, and physics. It allows us to design and optimize circuits and electronic devices, study the properties of different materials, and gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of electricity. It also has practical applications in industries such as telecommunications, energy, and transportation.