Relation between intelligence and sleep, immune system or inheritance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a link between intelligence and sleep duration, immune system strength, and inheritance. The speaker mentions hearing about results from various research papers on a website dedicated to summarizing intelligence-related studies. However, they are unable to locate the website currently. They also mention that there is a lot of information available on the heritability of intelligence, with numerous websites and papers discussing the topic.
Gerenuk
Does anyone know studies which link intelligence to
a) sleep (duration)
b) immune system (weak/strong)
c) inheritance (how much inherited, from father/mother?)
I vaguely remember hearing some results to each of these topics.

Biology news on Phys.org
I just know I've been to a website with correlates of intelligence -- results from hundreds of research papers summarized into a standard format. But I can't seem to find it now.

As for (c), there's lots of information on that. Searching for "heritability of g" gives thousands of websites like
http://members.cox.net/bvv/h2b.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ

If you have access to a college library you can find many papers on the subject as well. Even without, I think PubMed is accessible to the general public (?).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Relation between intelligence and sleep, immune system or inheritance?

1. What is the relationship between intelligence and sleep?

The relationship between intelligence and sleep is complex and multifaceted. While there is evidence that adequate sleep is necessary for optimal cognitive functioning and intelligence, it is not a direct and simple correlation. Factors such as genetics, lifestyle, and environmental factors also play a role in determining intelligence.

2. Can lack of sleep affect intelligence?

Yes, lack of sleep can have a negative impact on intelligence. Sleep deprivation can lead to impaired cognitive function, decreased attention and concentration, and reduced memory and learning abilities. However, these effects are usually temporary and can be reversed with adequate rest.

3. How does the immune system affect intelligence?

The immune system and intelligence are closely connected. It has been shown that chronic inflammation and immune dysregulation can impair cognitive function and decrease intelligence. On the other hand, a healthy immune system can support brain function and improve cognitive abilities.

4. Is intelligence inherited?

While genetics do play a significant role in determining intelligence, it is not the sole factor. Studies have shown that a person's environment and experiences also play a crucial role in their intelligence. Additionally, intelligence is a complex trait that is influenced by multiple genes, making it difficult to determine the exact extent of inheritance.

5. Can intelligence be improved through sleep or immune system enhancement?

While adequate sleep and a healthy immune system are important for optimal cognitive function, there is no evidence that they can directly enhance intelligence. However, maintaining good sleep habits and a strong immune system can support overall brain health and potentially improve cognitive abilities in the long run.