Relation of radiation wavelength and photosynthetic photon flux?

In summary: There are also detectors that can be used to measure the amount of light that is being reflected and scattered. By measuring these three parameters, you can get an idea of what type of light it is.
Farah
Dear all,

If I have the value of photosynthetic photon flux in unit [ micro mole per meter square per second] as an output for ultra violet sensor.
How can I know the corresponding wavelength of that radiation ? and can I know from that wavelength what is the type of the ultraviolet radiation ?

Thank you and looking forward for your help.
Farah

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
How can I know the corresponding wavelength of that radiation ?
From the flux alone? - you can't. It's like having a doorman who counts people entering or leaving a party, and expecting to tell, from just the number of guests, how old they are.

You have to check the manufacturers specs for the sensor you used for the bandwidth and sensitivity.

The rest is stuff that it is good for you to look up.

Dear Simon Bridge,
Thank you for your response.
I tried to know any thing from the specifications of the sensor related to that but I could not.
Here are the specifications in this manual (page 6) : http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/content/SU-100manual.pdf

Can you help me please to figure out any thing related to what I want ?
Regards,
Farah

The manual should tell you the wavelengths that it is sensitive to.
That information is usually given quite early on where they describe the instrument.
In the main part of the manual there will probably be a graph showing sensitivity (or similar) against wavelength.
Or they may use frequency instead or wavelength.

I cannot help you to figure out any thing related to what you want because you haven't told me what you want to achieve. You've only ruled out one path to what you want to achieve.

Note: pouring through manuals is not my idea of a fun evening.
You can get detectors that record energy in different channels and output to a computer.

FAQ: Relation of radiation wavelength and photosynthetic photon flux?

1. How does radiation wavelength affect photosynthetic photon flux?

The shorter the radiation wavelength, the higher the photosynthetic photon flux. This is because shorter wavelengths have higher energy, which is necessary for photosynthesis to occur. Therefore, plants are able to utilize shorter wavelength radiation more efficiently for photosynthesis.

2. What is the optimal radiation wavelength for photosynthetic photon flux?

The optimal radiation wavelength for photosynthetic photon flux is in the range of 400-700 nanometers. This range is known as the visible light spectrum and includes colors such as blue, green, and red. These wavelengths are most efficiently absorbed by plant pigments, such as chlorophyll, for photosynthesis to occur.

3. Can plants photosynthesize with radiation outside of the visible light spectrum?

Yes, plants are able to photosynthesize with radiation outside of the visible light spectrum, but not as efficiently. For example, while plants can absorb some ultraviolet and infrared light for photosynthesis, they are not able to utilize these wavelengths as efficiently as visible light.

4. How does the intensity of radiation affect photosynthetic photon flux?

The intensity of radiation plays a significant role in photosynthetic photon flux. Higher intensity radiation can lead to an increase in photosynthetic photon flux, as it provides more energy for the photosynthetic process. However, too much intensity can also be damaging to plants, so the intensity level must be carefully balanced for optimal photosynthesis.

5. How does the composition of the atmosphere affect the availability of radiation for photosynthetic photon flux?

The composition of the atmosphere affects the availability of radiation for photosynthetic photon flux. Some gases in the atmosphere, such as carbon dioxide and water vapor, can absorb and scatter radiation, reducing the amount of radiation that reaches plants for photosynthesis. This is an important consideration for plant growth in different environments and can be mitigated through proper greenhouse management.