Relational Dependencies: You make the Call....

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about normalizing a database and determining the dependencies between CompanyCity, CompanyState, and CompanyZip fields. It is established that there is a dependency between CompanyCity and CompanyZip, but there is disagreement whether there is also a dependency between CompanyState and CompanyZip. To fully normalize the database, it is suggested to create a table with CityName, CityState, CityZip, and CityPK, and a separate table listing all the zip codes per city. The process of normalizing a database is also discussed, with the general guidelines being to get rid of repeated groups of fields and partial functional dependencies, and to ensure that all fields depend on the primary key. It is mentioned that the relation between zip codes and
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
I am normalizing a database and I have the three fields: CompanyCity, CompanyState, CompanyZip
It seems clear to me that there is a dependency :

CompanyCity+ CompanyState --> CompanyZip

But CompanyCity --> CompanyZip is not a dependency, since there are cities with the same name in different states. My colleague says this says both are wrong. Just want to have someone impartial clear up this disagreement.
Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
Are there cities in the US with more than one zipcode? If there are, the first dependency is wrong. You would need a table with CityName, CityState, CityZip, CityPK, and then have a foreign key in the Companies table referring to CityPK.

(And to fully normalize, you could make two tables, one with CityName, CityState, CityPK, and a second table listing all the zip codes per city. Maybe overkill in most circumstances.)

Samy_A said:
Are there cities in the US with more than one zipcode? If there are, the first dependency is wrong. You would need a table with CityName, CityState, CityZip, CityPK, and then have a foreign key in the Companies table referring to CityPK.

(And to fully normalize, you could make two tables, one with CityName, CityState, CityPK, and a second table listing all the zip codes per city. Maybe overkill in most circumstances.)
Actually, now that you mention it, yes, in NYC, for one, there are different ZIPs for different parts of the city. So now I am thinking. And I know there is a similar issue in L.A , you know, the 90210 thing and all (though maybe, unlike me, you actually have a life and you don't know ;)) :

CompanyStAddress+CompanyCity+ CompanyState --> CompanyZip

Since once you know a region within a city, the ZIP is determined. But , as you correctly point out, CompanyCity+

In order to be sure that you're normalizing the tables of a database correctly, you must begin with the 1st NF and go your way, keeping track of what stage of normalizing you're at. I give the general guidelines from my own experience, just in case they could be of some help:
In order to get a table in 1NF, you have to get rid of repeated groups of fields (columns) so that the intersection of a raw and a column, always corresponds to a single value. If you are on 1st NF - if not, you have to go first to 1st NF, then to go to 2nd NF, you must get rid of all partial functional dependencies that exist in table fields. All fields not belonging to primary key, are solely dependent on the primary key, which in the usual case is comprised by more than one fields. With 2nd NF we effectively avoid field repetitions. In order to get to 3rd NF - table has to be already in 2nd NF, we must get rid of all the transitional dependencies that exist among its fields. In other words, in each and every table all fields must depend on the primary key - not through other fields. Now in order to go to 4th NF - provided you are on 3rd NF, we have to get rid of all functional dependencies that contain multi-valued fields. Finally, to go to 5th NF - again provided you are on 4th NF, you must get rid of all the remaining dependencies that block the breakup of the table in smaller tables, which if in turn breakup in even smaller ones and get combined appropriately, they can recreate the initial tables.

QuantumQuest said:
In order to be sure that you're normalizing the tables of a database correctly, you must begin with the 1st NF and go your way, keeping track of what stage of normalizing you're at. I give the general guidelines from my own experience, just in case they could be of some help:
In order to get a table in 1NF, you have to get rid of repeated groups of fields (columns) so that the intersection of a raw and a column, always corresponds to a single value. If you are on 1st NF - if not, you have to go first to 1st NF, then to go to 2nd NF, you must get rid of all partial functional dependencies that exist in table fields. All fields not belonging to primary key, are solely dependent on the primary key, which in the usual case is comprised by more than one fields. With 2nd NF we effectively avoid field repetitions. In order to get to 3rd NF - table has to be already in 2nd NF, we must get rid of all the transitional dependencies that exist among its fields. In other words, in each and every table all fields must depend on the primary key - not through other fields. Now in order to go to 4th NF - provided you are on 3rd NF, we have to get rid of all functional dependencies that contain multi-valued fields. Finally, to go to 5th NF - again provided you are on 4th NF, you must get rid of all the remaining dependencies that block the breakup of the table in smaller tables, which if in turn breakup in even smaller ones and get combined appropriately, they can recreate the initial tables.
I understand, that is precisely what I am trying to do. I believe the above is a dependency on non-keys: Company Name is the PK for Company, but CompanyZip is dependent on the three fields (We are restricting to major companies so that two companies having the same name is not an issue).

Likes WWGD

FAQ: Relational Dependencies: You make the Call....

What are relational dependencies?

Relational dependencies refer to the relationships between different variables or factors in a system. These dependencies can be direct or indirect and can play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of a system.

Why are relational dependencies important in scientific research?

Relational dependencies are important in scientific research because they help us understand how different variables are connected and how they affect each other. This is crucial in developing accurate models and making informed decisions based on scientific evidence.

What are some common methods for identifying relational dependencies?

Some common methods for identifying relational dependencies include statistical analysis, correlation analysis, and experimental design. These methods involve analyzing data and conducting experiments to determine the strength and direction of relationships between variables.

How can we use relational dependencies to improve our understanding of complex systems?

By understanding and mapping relational dependencies in complex systems, we can identify key factors and their interconnections, which can help us predict and control the behavior of the system. This can be applied in various fields such as ecology, economics, and social sciences.

Can relational dependencies change over time?

Yes, relational dependencies can change over time. Factors that were once strongly related may become less important, and new dependencies may emerge. This is why ongoing research and analysis is important to keep up with the dynamic nature of relational dependencies in complex systems.

Back