Relationship between Electric and Magnetic Field Amplitudes in Light Waves

In summary, the problem asks to find the amplitude of the magnetic field and the average magnitude of the Poynting vector for a light wave traveling in glass with a refractive index of 1.50 and an electric field amplitude of 100V/m. To solve for the electric field amplitude, the equations for irradiance and speed of light in a material are used. From there, the amplitude of the magnetic field and the average magnitude of the Poynting vector can be found using the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

I'm not sure if this goes in introductory physics for not, but anyways...

A light wave is traveling in glass of index 1.50. If the electric field amplitude of the wave is known to be 100 [itex]\frac{V}{m}[/itex], find (a) the amplitude of the magnetic field and (b) the average magnitude of the Poynting vector.

Homework Equations

[itex]E_{e} = \frac{power}{area}[/itex]
[itex]E_{e} = \frac{1}{2}ε_{0}cE_{0}^{2}[/itex]
[itex]n = \frac{c}{\upsilon}[/itex]
[itex]E_{0} = cB_{0}[/itex]
[itex]S = ε_{0}c^{2}E_{0}B_{0}[/itex]
[itex]P = IV[/itex]

Where
[itex]E_{e}[/itex] is the irradiance
[itex]c ≈ 2.998 X 10^{8} \frac{m}{s}[/itex] is the speed of light
[itex]E_{0}[/itex] is the magnitude of the magnetic field
[itex]ε_{0} ≈ 8.8542 X 10^{-12} \frac{(C s)^{2}}{kg m^{3}}[/itex] is the permittivity of vacuum
n is the refractive index of a material
[itex]\upsilon[/itex] is the velocity of light through the material
[itex]B_{0}[/itex] is the magnitude of the magnetic field
S is the magnitude of the Poynting vector
P is power
V is voltage
I is current

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a)
I seem to be having some issues processing the given information. I know that irradiance [itex]E_{e}[/itex] is power [itex]P[/itex] divided by area[itex]A[/itex]. I have 100 [itex]\frac{V}{m}[/itex], which isn't the irradiance [itex]E_{e}[/itex]. Without being able to find the irradiance [itex]E_{e}[/itex] I'm not sure how to proceed. I'm unsure how to apply the knowledge of the refraction index n. I can solve for the speed of the light through the material [itex]\upsilon[/itex] but I'm not sure what good that really does.

[itex]n = \frac{c}{\upsilon}[/itex]
[itex]\upsilon = \frac{c}{n} = \frac{2.998 X 10^{8} \frac{m}{s}}{1.5} ≈ 1.999 X 10^{8} \frac{m}{s}[/itex]

Once I find the irradiance I can solve for amplitude of the electric field
[itex]E_{e} = \frac{1}{2}ε_{0}cE_{0}^{2}[/itex]
[itex]E_{0} = \sqrt{\frac{2E_{e}}{ε_{0}c}} = \sqrt{\frac{2E_{e}}{(2.998 X 10^{8} \frac{m}{s})(8.8542 X 10^{-12} \frac{(C s)^{2}}{kg m^{3}})}}[/itex]

Once I get this value I can solve for the amplitude of the magnetic field
[itex]E_{0} = cB_{0}[/itex]
[itex]B_{0} = \frac{E_{0}}{c}[/itex]

For part (b)
Once I solve part A I can solve for the average magnitude of the Poynting vector rather easily

[itex]S = ε_{0}c^{2}E_{0}B_{0} = (8.8542 X 10^{-12} \frac{(C s)^2}{kg m^{3}})(2.998 X 10^{8} \frac{m}{s})E_{0}B_{0}[/itex]

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide me in solving this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:
I have 100 [itex]\frac{V}{m}[/itex], which isn't the irradiance [itex]E_{e}[/itex].
You are told what it is in the problem statement -
If the electric field amplitude of the wave is known to be 100V/m
... what is the relationship between the amplitude of the electric and magnetic fields?

Related to Relationship between Electric and Magnetic Field Amplitudes in Light Waves

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of particles called photons and travels in waves.

2. How does light interact with magnetic fields?

When light passes through a magnetic field, its polarization changes. This means that the direction of the light's electric field is altered. The intensity of the light may also change depending on the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What is the relationship between light and magnetic fields?

Light and magnetic fields are both forms of electromagnetic radiation. They are closely related and can affect each other's behavior. For example, a changing magnetic field can create an electric field, which in turn can produce light.

4. How are light and magnetic fields used in technology?

Light and magnetic fields have numerous technological applications. For instance, they are used in medical imaging, communication systems, and energy production. They also play a crucial role in electronics and computer technology.

5. Can light be affected by a magnetic field?

Yes, light can be affected by a magnetic field. As mentioned earlier, a magnetic field can change the polarization and intensity of light. Additionally, some materials, such as certain crystals, can alter the speed of light when placed in a magnetic field.