Relationship of Physical Quantities in Functions

In summary, the student attempted to graph the data tables given, but did not understand how to calculate the exponent or coefficient for a power function, so he is uncertain about the relationship between the values. He was able to graph the data for the first table and get close to the expected values, but did not understand how to graph the data for the second table. He was able to graph the data for the first table and get close to the expected values, but did not understand how to graph the data for the second table.
Youngster

Homework Statement

This is actually a part of my physics lab assignment, but there isn't any physics involved here, so I chose to post this here. I hope that isn't a problem.

Anyway, I've been given three data tables, and have been asked to make graphs for each of the data tables by hand. After doing so, I'm tasked to find the function for each graph, also being tasked with finding the relationships between the values that compose the function.

Here is one of those tables:

0QXs1.png

Homework Equations

For linear functions: y = Bx + A
For power functions: log y = n log x + log A
For exponential functions: ln y = Bx + ln A

The Attempt at a Solution

I did actually graph the data first, with reactance as my independent variable (in the x-axis) and frequency as my dependent variable, and I'm guessing it's not an exponential function, just based on appearance.

OMNdp.png

I then tried plugging in my y values into power function equation, but I don't know how to derive the exponent n, or the coefficient A from that equation (assuming a power function relationship even exists in this case).

I'm hoping to get some direction here, so I can start on the other two data sets that I've also graphed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint -- what does it look like if you make the horizontal axis logarithmic?

Okay, just tried that and got a (nearly) straight line with a slope around -1.

So -1 would be n, and A (after some further calculation) would be about 4.492.

Plugged those into check so that at x = 100, y = 310.7, and at x = 200, y = 155.34. These are pretty close, and sound reasonable when factoring in uncertainty. Thanks a lot!

Okay, I also managed to do the second one, but I need some clarification (and maybe help) with the last data table.

ygU6T.png

The energy given by GeV is the independent variable here, yes?

Youngster said:
The energy given by GeV is the independent variable here, yes?

Yes. What does the graph look like?

Alright, the graph looks like this:

vrrvl.png

And I was thinking this was an exponential function, but when I took the logarithm of both sides, I got another (somewhat) straight line

1DE3O.png

So I'm guessing it's another power function since the natural log of the dependent variable does not form a straight line.

Plugging the values in, I again receive values pretty close to what should be expected. I suppose none of the data tables given provide an exponential function (the second one was linear when graphed).

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help.

Good work!

Related to Relationship of Physical Quantities in Functions

What is the relationship between physical quantities in functions?

The relationship between physical quantities in functions is that one quantity is dependent on the other. In other words, the value of one quantity changes based on the value of the other quantity. This relationship is often represented by a mathematical equation, where one quantity is the dependent variable and the other is the independent variable.

How are physical quantities related to each other in a function?

In a function, physical quantities are related through a mathematical relationship. This relationship can be expressed in the form of an equation, where the dependent variable is a function of the independent variable. The specific relationship between the variables can be determined through experimentation and data analysis.

What is the role of physical quantities in functions?

The role of physical quantities in functions is to describe the relationship between two or more variables. By understanding the relationship between physical quantities, scientists are able to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of the physical world.

How do scientists determine the relationship between physical quantities in functions?

Scientists determine the relationship between physical quantities in functions through experimentation and data analysis. By manipulating one variable and observing the changes in the other variable, scientists are able to determine the mathematical relationship between the two quantities.

What is the importance of understanding the relationship between physical quantities in functions?

Understanding the relationship between physical quantities in functions is crucial for scientists to make accurate predictions and draw meaningful conclusions about the physical world. It also allows for the development of mathematical models and equations to describe and explain physical phenomena.