Relativ strength of all 4 forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the relative strengths of the four fundamental forces - strong force, electromagnetic force, weak force, and gravity - as stated in a physics book. The book mentions that the electromagnetic force is 10^-2 times stronger than the strong force, while the weak force is 10^-6 times stronger and gravity is 10^-43 times stronger. The conversation also raises the question of whether there is a maximum amount of gravity and how it compares to the maximum amount of strong force.
johann1301
I have a poor physics book that doesn't really explain things easy. My book states that

Strong force - 1
Electromagnetic force - 10^-2
Weak force - 10^-6
Gravity - 10^-43

This is the "relative strength between the 4 forces" is what my book says.

But what does that mean? Is there some maximum amount of gravity, which always is lower than the maximum amount of strong force. (it might be a very stupid question)

?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi johann1301! :smile:

i think it's comparing the strengths of the different forces between the same pair of particles

eg the electromagnetic force between two electrons is about 1041 times the gravitational force between them

Related to Relativ strength of all 4 forces

1. What are the four fundamental forces of nature?

The four fundamental forces of nature are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

2. How do the four forces differ in terms of strength?

The four forces differ in terms of strength based on their relative magnitude. In order from strongest to weakest, the forces are: strong nuclear force, electromagnetism, weak nuclear force, and gravity.

3. What is the role of each force in the universe?

Gravity is responsible for the attraction of massive objects, such as planets, towards each other. Electromagnetism governs the interaction of electrically charged particles. Strong nuclear force holds the nucleus of an atom together, while weak nuclear force is involved in radioactive decay.

4. How does the strength of the four forces affect the behavior of matter?

The strength of the four forces determines the behavior of matter at different scales. For example, gravity is the dominant force at the scale of planets and galaxies, while strong nuclear force is responsible for the stability of atomic nuclei.

5. Is it possible for the strength of the four forces to change?

The strength of the four forces is believed to be constant, but some theories suggest that they may have been different in the early universe. However, there is currently no evidence to support this idea.