Relative Angular Momentum in 2 Body Decay at Detector Level

In summary, the conversation discusses how the relative angular momentum of two particles can be detected in a two-particle decay in the center of mass frame. The speaker is curious about the differences between different relative momenta and how to determine the angular momentum, particularly through the use of spherical harmonics functions. They also mention that there may be more effective ways to detect this in a detector. In terms of theoretical calculations, there is a need to consider the projection on spherical harmonics functions, but the speaker is unsure of the differences from the start.
Naeem Anwar
How the relative angular momentum of two particles can be detect by detector in two particle decay (center of mass frame)? I am curious about the signatures/differentiation between different relative momenta, means how one can decide that it is L=0, L=1,2,3,...?

Of course the distribution would be different, but what kind of difference exist exactly? Looking for some pictorial spirit to understand the difference.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it has to do with the spherical harmonics functions [itex]Y^m_{l}[/itex].
There will be some particular dependence on the [itex]\theta[/itex] coordinate and this will help you find the [itex]L[/itex].
http://www.trinnov.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/sphericalHarm.jpg

For example an [itex]L=0[/itex] particle will be independent from [itex]\theta= - \pi [/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex] (or [itex] \cos \theta \in [-1,1][/itex].
An [itex]L=1[/itex] will have some particular dependence on theta..

I don't know maybe there are other more effective ways to do that in a detector.

Likes Naeem Anwar
Ok got it. Thanks!

But in theoretical calculation I am not clear what is the major difference I should have to keep in mind in calculating these partial decay widths. I know in the final result there must be projection on some [itex]Y^m_{l}[/itex] but I am not able to get the difference from start. Do you have any idea?

Related to Relative Angular Momentum in 2 Body Decay at Detector Level

1. What is relative angular momentum in 2 body decay at detector level?

Relative angular momentum in 2 body decay at detector level refers to the amount of angular momentum present in a system of two particles undergoing a decay process. It is a measure of the rotational motion of the particles around a common axis.

2. Why is relative angular momentum important in 2 body decay at detector level?

Relative angular momentum plays a crucial role in understanding the dynamics and properties of particle decay. It helps in determining the spin of the particles involved in the decay process and provides information about their underlying interactions.

3. How is relative angular momentum calculated in 2 body decay at detector level?

The relative angular momentum is calculated using the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the laws of conservation of angular momentum. It involves analyzing the properties of the particles before and after the decay and applying mathematical equations to determine the angular momentum.

4. What is the significance of relative angular momentum conservation in 2 body decay at detector level?

The conservation of relative angular momentum is a fundamental law in particle physics that must be obeyed in all decay processes. It ensures that the total angular momentum of the system remains constant before and after the decay, providing important insights into the underlying interactions and the nature of the particles involved.

5. How does the detection of relative angular momentum in 2 body decay contribute to our understanding of the Standard Model?

The Standard Model of particle physics is a theoretical framework that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. The detection of relative angular momentum in 2 body decay at detector level helps in testing and validating this model by providing evidence for the predicted properties and behaviors of particles. It also aids in the search for new particles and interactions beyond the Standard Model.

Back