How Fast is the Other Car Going Relative to You?

In summary: The person in the other car is going 136 mph relative to you. Remember to always consider the direction of travel when adding velocities.
Hannah1

Homework Statement

Your car is going 78 mph on the freeway. Another car is going 58 mph in the opposite direction. How fast is the person in the other car going, relative to you?

Homework Equations

Your Car's Speed: 78 mph -->
Another Car's Speed: <-- 58 mph

The Attempt at a Solution

(78 mph) -------->
<------ (58 mph)

78 - 58 = 20

Wouldn't the other car be going -20 mph relative to my car??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hannah1 said:

Homework Statement

Your car is going 78 mph on the freeway. Another car is going 58 mph in the opposite direction. How fast is the person in the other car going, relative to you?

Homework Equations

Your Car's Speed: 78 mph -->
Another Car's Speed: <-- 58 mph

The Attempt at a Solution

(78 mph) -------->
<------ (58 mph)

78 - 58 = 20

Wouldn't the other car be going -20 mph relative to my car??
Let [itex] \vec{v}_{CF} [/itex] be the velocity of your car relative to the freeway.
Let [itex] \vec{v}_{C'C} [/itex] be the velocity of the other car relative to your car.
Let [itex] \vec{v}_{C'F} [/itex] be the velocity of the other car relative to the freeway.

Use Galilean velocity addition to find the correct velocity. (This should correct your sign error)

I'm new at this myself but I think it's -78 + -58 because if you pretend you are sitting in your car, facing upwards (towards the positive y-axis), and you are at rest. Since you are traveling 78mph relative to the ground, relative to yourself, the ground is traveling -78 mph relative to you (towards the negative y-axis). The other car is also traveling in the same direction as the ground relative to you, so I think you have to add both speeds relative to you, which are both negative. I could be wrong, though.

PhizKid said:
I'm new at this myself but I think it's -78 + -58 because if you pretend you are sitting in your car, facing upwards (towards the positive y-axis), and you are at rest. Since you are traveling 78mph relative to the ground, relative to yourself, the ground is traveling -78 mph relative to you (towards the negative y-axis). The other car is also traveling in the same direction as the ground relative to you, so I think you have to add both speeds relative to you, which are both negative.
Yes, and this can be verified by Galilean addition.

PhizKid said:
I'm new at this myself but I think it's -78 + -58 because if you pretend you are sitting in your car, facing upwards (towards the positive y-axis), and you are at rest. Since you are traveling 78mph relative to the ground, relative to yourself, the ground is traveling -78 mph relative to you (towards the negative y-axis). The other car is also traveling in the same direction as the ground relative to you, so I think you have to add both speeds relative to you, which are both negative. I could be wrong, though.

CAF123 said:
Yes, and this can be verified by Galilean addition.

So, according to Galilean addition, the answer would be:

-78 + -58 = -136

AKA, the person in the other car is going 136 mph relative to me. Correct??

Help me? :cry:

What am I doing wrong? Please help. o:)

Hannah1 said:
What am I doing wrong? Please help. o:)
You are correct.

Related to How Fast is the Other Car Going Relative to You?

1. What is the relative speed of two cars?

The relative speed of two cars is the difference in speed between the two vehicles. It is calculated by subtracting the speed of one car from the speed of the other.

2. How is relative speed different from absolute speed?

Relative speed takes into account the motion of two objects in relation to each other, while absolute speed is the speed of an object in relation to a stationary point. For example, if two cars are moving at the same speed, their relative speed is 0, but their absolute speed is the speed at which they are both moving.

3. How can relative speed be calculated?

Relative speed can be calculated by subtracting the velocities of the two objects. If one object is moving at 50 mph and the other is moving at 30 mph, their relative speed would be 20 mph.

4. What factors can affect the relative speed of two cars?

The relative speed of two cars can be affected by their individual speeds, the direction of their motion, and any external forces acting on them such as wind or gravity.

5. Why is relative speed important in driving and traffic safety?

Understanding relative speed is important in driving and traffic safety because it helps drivers anticipate and react to the movement of other vehicles. It also plays a role in determining the severity of collisions and the amount of force involved.