Relative Speed of Two Masses Connected by a Rod

In summary, the relative speed of two masses connected by a rod is the velocity at which the two masses are moving in relation to each other, taking into account the individual velocities of the masses and the length and orientation of the rod. It is calculated by taking the difference between the velocities of the masses and dividing it by the length of the rod. The orientation of the rod can affect the relative speed, with a perpendicular orientation resulting in a greater relative speed. If the masses have equal velocities, the relative speed will be zero. The relative speed cannot exceed the individual velocities of the masses.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The system shown in consists of two balls A and B connected by a thin rod of negligible mass. Ball A has three times the inertia of ball B and the distance between the two balls is ℓ. The system has a translational velocity of v in the x direction and is spinning counterclockwise at an angular speed of ω=2v/ℓ.
Determine the ratio of the instantaneous speeds of the two balls vA/vB at the moment shown.
The diagram is below.

Homework Equations

I don't know any...

The Attempt at a Solution

Since ball A is traveling in the direction of motion, I added the angular speed and translational speed.
Since ball B is traveling in the opposite direction, I subtracted angular from translational.

[itex] v_{a} = \frac{2v+vℓ}{ℓ} [/itex] and [itex] v_{b} = \frac{vℓ-2v}{ℓ} [/itex] and then when I divided vA by v B , I get [itex] \frac{2v+vℓ}{vℓ-2v} [/itex]. Not the right answer. The hint I was given by my TA was to get the both in the same units, so I converted angular speed to translational speed and got v as the answer, which is obviously no help because I get 0 in the denominator. Not good...

Attachments

• twomasses.PNG
    twomasses.PNG
    4.3 KB · Views: 673
Physics news on Phys.org
Relevant equations
I don't know any...
This is not true - you have had 74 (at time or writing) other posts and some of them have relevant equations in them.
You should have some relative velocity equations and notes somewhere.

Determine the ratio of the instantaneous speeds of the two balls vA/vB at the moment shown.
... with respect to what?
This is important because it's a relative velocity problem.

[iline] v_{a} = \frac{2v+vℓ}{ℓ} [/iline] and [iline v_{b} = \frac{vℓ-2v}{ℓ} [/iline] and then when I divided vA by v B , I get [iline] \frac{2v+vℓ}{vℓ-2v} [/iline].
... here, let's see if I can help:
$$v_{a} = \frac{2v+vℓ}{ℓ},\qquad v_{b} = \frac{vℓ-2v}{ℓ},\\
\implies \frac{v_a}{v_b} = \frac{2v+vℓ}{vℓ-2v}$$
... that what you meant?
Doesn't make any sense to me - what was your reasoning behind all that?

The hint from the TA is OK as it goes - but to get the linear velocity from the angular one, you need to know the center of rotation.

And the moment I posted this I figured out the solution. I forgot everything I knew about the problem, and worked from scratch and got an answer of 3. Looking at your post, however, I you would have been massive help. Thank you for your potential help, U(x) ;)

75 posts now.

Working from scratch (just using physics) is the way to go. Well done.

Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few errors in your equations. First, when calculating the speed of ball A, you should subtract the angular speed from the translational speed, not add them. This is because the angular speed is in the opposite direction of the translational speed. So the correct equation for vA should be vA = (v-ωℓ). Similarly, for ball B, you should add the angular speed to the translational speed, giving you vB = (v+ωℓ).

Next, when dividing vA by vB, you should use the simplified expressions for vA and vB that you just calculated, not the original equations. This will give you (v-ωℓ)/(v+ωℓ) as the ratio of the instantaneous speeds.

Finally, to get the ratio of the speeds at the moment shown in the diagram, you need to substitute the given value for ω (which is 2v/ℓ) into the equation for the ratio. This will give you the final answer of (v-2v)/(v+2v) = -1/3. This means that at the moment shown in the diagram, ball A is moving three times faster than ball B in the opposite direction.

Related to Relative Speed of Two Masses Connected by a Rod

1. What is the relative speed of two masses connected by a rod?

The relative speed of two masses connected by a rod is the velocity at which the two masses are moving in relation to each other. It takes into account both the individual velocities of the masses as well as the length and orientation of the rod.

2. How is the relative speed calculated?

The relative speed is calculated by taking the difference between the velocities of the two masses and dividing it by the length of the rod. This can be represented by the formula: relative speed = (v1 - v2)/L, where v1 and v2 are the velocities of the two masses and L is the length of the rod.

3. Does the orientation of the rod affect the relative speed?

Yes, the orientation of the rod can affect the relative speed. If the rod is perpendicular to the direction of motion of the masses, the relative speed will be greater than if the rod is parallel to the direction of motion. This is due to the fact that the length of the rod will have a greater impact on the relative speed when it is perpendicular.

4. How does the relative speed change if the masses have equal velocities?

If the two masses have equal velocities, then the relative speed will be zero. This is because there is no difference in velocity to calculate and the length of the rod will not have an impact on the relative speed.

5. Can the relative speed ever exceed the individual velocities of the masses?

No, the relative speed cannot exceed the individual velocities of the masses. This is due to the fact that the relative speed is calculated by taking the difference between the velocities, so it will always be less than or equal to the individual velocities of the masses.