Relative Speed Problem: What is Matt's speed from Mary's point of view?

In summary: Matt be moving faster?If she sat at the center of the merry-go-round, Matt would be moving faster because he would be Moving closer to her.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Mary sits on the perimeter of a merry-go-round undergoing uniform circular motion. Matt stands on the ground 12 m from the centre of the merry-go-round. Matt observes Mary coming towards him at a speed of 1 m/s. What is Matt's speed from the point of view of Mary?

(Ans: 2m/s)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a sketch according to the given problem. A denotes Mary and B denotes Matt.

Shouldn't the answer be 1 m/s? If Matt observes Mary coming towards him with 1m/s, then Mary should also observe Matt coming towards her with 1 m/s. I don't see why this is wrong.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• mary and matt.png
    mary and matt.png
    6 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
Chestermiller said:
Neither do I.

Chet

I myself wanted to dismiss the answer as wrong but considering that the problem is from a very trusted source, I couldn't. Here is the source: http://www.komal.hu/verseny/feladat.cgi?a=feladat&f=P4619&l=en

Is my interpretation of problem correct? Would it be right to say that 1m/s is along the tangent of merry go round?

Maybe it loses something in the translation. They are talking about speeds, not velocities. Who know's what they really meant?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Maybe it loses something in the translation. They are talking about speeds, not velocities. Who know's what they really meant?

Chet

I think you are right. Usually the translation is ok but looks like they missed it this time.

I tried to look at the Magyar version of the website. This is the Magyar version of the problem: http://www.komal.hu/verseny/feladat.cgi?a=feladat&f=P4619&l=hu . From Google Translate, I see that they mention the radius of merry-go-round which is absent from the English version. Maybe they missed something more?

I think they meant velocity by sebesség.

(Szerintem a sebesség velocity lenne angolul)

Also, I don't think that sugár is a brilliant replacement word for radius, but that's just my opinion.

TheAustrian said:
I think they meant velocity by sebesség.

(Szerintem a sebesség velocity lenne angolul)

Do you know Hungarian? If so, can you please translate the problem? That would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pranav-Arora said:
Do you know Hungarian? If so, can you please translate the problem? That would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yes I speak it fluently.

Mari egy 6 méter sugarú, egyenletesen forgó körhinta szélén ül. Máté a körhinta középpontjától 12 méterre a földön áll. Máté úgy látja, hogy Mari éppen feléje mozog 1 m/s sebességgel. Mekkora sebességgel mozgónak látja Mari Mátét?

Mary is on the edge of a uniformly rotating carousel with radius of 6 meters. Mate stands 12 meters away from the axis of the carousel on the ground. Mate sees as Mari approaches her with a velocity of 1 m/s. At what velocity does the motion of Máté appear to Mari?

Likes 1 person
TheAustrian said:
Yes I speak it fluently.

Mari egy 6 méter sugarú, egyenletesen forgó körhinta szélén ül. Máté a körhinta középpontjától 12 méterre a földön áll. Máté úgy látja, hogy Mari éppen feléje mozog 1 m/s sebességgel. Mekkora sebességgel mozgónak látja Mari Mátét?

Mary is on the edge of a uniformly rotating carousel with radius of 6 meters. Mate stands 12 meters away from the axis of the carousel on the ground. Mate sees as Mari approaches her with a velocity of 1 m/s. At what velocity does the motion of Máté appear to Mari?

Thank you once again!

So looks like the missing piece of info was the radius of merry-go-round and the velocity part. But still, I don't see why the answer should differ from 1m/s.

I suspect that there is a Chance that the English to Hungarian translation went wrong somewhere. (the Question on the Hungarian website is taken from an American paper)

TheAustrian said:
I suspect that there is a Chance that the English to Hungarian translation went wrong somewhere. (the Question on the Hungarian website is taken from an American paper)

Ah, looks like I should accept that the problem is erroneous. :(

There are many ways for a question to go wrong. Possibly the answer of 2 on the website is a typo. Who knows?

TheAustrian said:
There are many ways for a question to go wrong. Possibly the answer of 2 on the website is a typo. Who knows?

The problem statement is probably erroneous because I doubt they would ask such an easy problem (with answer 1m/s) for 4 points. :-p

There's a way to get an answer of 2 m/s. Note first that Mary sits on the edge of the merry-go-round.

What if she sat at the center of the merry-go-round? Would Mary see Matt moving at the same speed that Matt sees Mary moving?

TSny said:
What if she sat at the center of the merry-go-round? Would Mary see Matt moving at the same speed that Matt sees Mary moving?

Why should it be different? :confused:

If Mary sits at the center, then she sees Matt (and trees, houses, etc.) whirling around her.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
If Mary sits at the center, then she sees Matt (and trees, houses, etc.) whirling around her.

Ah yes, I think I see how you reach the answer of 2m/s. If I consider the angular velocity to be 6 rad/s, then Matt has a speed of 2 m/s in frame of Mary. This is probably what the question meant. Thanks TSny! :smile:

6 rad/s?

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
6 rad/s?

Woops, I meant 1/6 rad/s. :redface:

OK. Sounds good.

Yes what we have here is V=R/ω = R/(v/r)=(R/r)v = (12/6)*1 = 2 m/s. The problem is correct.

That's a tricky question.

Those darn non-inertial ref. frames...

Related to Relative Speed Problem: What is Matt's speed from Mary's point of view?

What is the relative speed problem?

The relative speed problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the speed of an object from the perspective of another object or observer. It is commonly used in physics and other scientific fields to calculate the relative motion between two objects.

What is meant by "Mary's point of view" in this problem?

In this problem, "Mary's point of view" refers to the perspective of an observer who is stationary relative to the reference point or frame of reference. In other words, Mary is not moving and is using her own position as the starting point for measuring Matt's speed.

Why is it important to consider relative speed in scientific calculations?

Relative speed is important in scientific calculations because it allows us to understand the motion of objects in relation to each other. It is essential in solving real-world problems, such as calculating the trajectory of a rocket or the speed of a moving vehicle.

How is relative speed calculated?

Relative speed is calculated by finding the difference between the velocities of two objects or observers. It can be calculated using the formula Vrel = V1 - V2, where Vrel is the relative speed, V1 is the speed of the first object, and V2 is the speed of the second object.

What factors can affect relative speed?

Several factors can affect relative speed, including the initial velocities of the objects, the direction and angle of motion, and the relative position and distance between the objects. Other factors, such as wind resistance and friction, may also play a role in certain situations.