Relative Velocity Derivation from Maxwell-Boltzmann

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the relative velocity between two molecules A and B from the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution. The speaker has evaluated an integral and transformed to relative and center-of-mass velocity coordinates, but is struggling to prove a specific equation. The expert suggests using the Jacobian determinant to find the general volume element, which shows that the coordinate change does not affect the volume element.
feynman_freak
Hi,
I have a specific question about the derivation of the relative velocity between two molecules A and B from the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution (which should equal square root of 2 times the average velocity).
In equations, I have been evaluating this integral:

\begin{eqnarray*}
c_r&=&\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}v_rP(v_{Ax},v_{Ay},v_{Az})dv_{Ax}dv_{Ay}dv_{Az}P(v_{Bx},v_{By},v_{Bz})dv_{Bx}dv_{By}dv_{Bz}\\
\ c_r&=&\bigg(\frac{m_A}{2\pi kT}\bigg)^{3/2}\bigg(\frac{m_B}{2\pi kT}\bigg)^{3/2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\ldots\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}v_rdv_{Ax}...dv{_Bz}e^{-(m_A(v_{Ax}^2+v_{Ay}^2+v_{Az}^2)+m_B(v_{Bx}^2+v_{By}^2+v_{Bz}^2))/(2k_BT)}
\end{eqnarray*}

I have transformed to relative and center-of-mass velocity coordinates using these relations:
\begin{eqnarray*}
\ v_{ri}&=&v_{Ai}-v_{Bi}\\
\ v_{ci}&=&\frac{m_Av_{Ai}+m_Bv_{Bi}}{m_A+m_B}
\end{eqnarray*}

But now I cannot seem to prove that
\begin{equation*}
\ dv_{Ai}dv_{Bi} = dv_{ri}dv_{ci}\
\end{equation*}
(to transform the Cartesian differentials to center-of-mass differentials).

I have started like this ..
\begin{eqnarray*}
\ dv_{Ai}dv_{Bi}&=&\bigg(dv_{ci}+\frac{m_B}{m_A+m_B}dv_{ri}\bigg)\bigg(dv_{ci}-\frac{m_A}{m_A+m_B}dv_{ri}\bigg)\\
\ dv_{ri}dv_{ci}&\stackrel{?}{=}& dv_{ci}^2+\frac{m_B-m_A}{m_A+m_B}dv_{ri}dv_{ci}-\frac{m_Am_B}{(m_A+m_B)^2}dv_{ri}^2
\end{eqnarray*}

But do not end up with the final line actually being equal. If anyone has done this derivation before and has advice for converting the differentials I would be very, very grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
When doing a change of coordinates with multiple variables, the way to find the general volume element [itex]dv_A dv_B[/itex] in terms of the new variables is the Jacobian determinant; you can look at what I am referring to here. What you are really looking for is,

[tex]
dv_{r}dv_{c}= \begin{vmatrix}\frac{\partial v_r}{\partial v_A} & \frac{\partial v_r}{\partial v_B}\\ \frac{\partial v_c}{\partial v_A} & \frac{\partial v_c}{\partial v_B}\end{vmatrix}=\begin{vmatrix} 1 & -1 \\ \frac{m_A}{m_A +m_B} & \frac{m_B}{m_A+m_B}\end{vmatrix} = 1
[/tex]

so it looks like this coordinate change does not affect the volume element.

Excellent! Thank you so much.

Related to Relative Velocity Derivation from Maxwell-Boltzmann

1. How is relative velocity derived from Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The relative velocity between particles can be derived from the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution by considering the probability of finding a particle with a certain velocity in a gas or liquid. This probability is related to the relative velocity between two particles by taking into account the velocities of both particles in the reference frame of one of them.

2. What is the significance of relative velocity in Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The relative velocity between particles is important in the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution because it affects the collisions and interactions between particles, which ultimately determine the macroscopic properties of the gas or liquid, such as pressure and temperature.

3. Can the relative velocity be calculated for all particles in a gas or liquid?

No, the relative velocity can only be calculated between two particles at a time. This is because the relative velocity is dependent on the reference frame of one of the particles, and in a gas or liquid, there are many different reference frames and velocities for each particle.

4. How does the relative velocity change with temperature in Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The relative velocity between particles increases with increasing temperature in the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. This is because as temperature increases, the average velocity of particles increases, resulting in higher relative velocities between particles.

5. Is the relative velocity between particles always constant in a gas or liquid?

No, the relative velocity between particles is not constant in a gas or liquid. It can vary depending on the velocities and positions of the particles, as well as external factors such as temperature and pressure. However, the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution provides a statistical average of the relative velocities between particles in a gas or liquid at a given temperature.