Relative Velocity/Two-dimensional motion

In summary: The time can also be found with the distance the fish needs to travel in the y direction (1.5m) and the initial velocity in the y direction. The x- and y-components of the initial velocity can be found using the equations provided and solving for v0x and v0y. In summary, the problem involves a Chinook salmon needing to jump a 1.50 m waterfall and the task is to find the x- and y-components of the initial velocity needed for the fish to reach the top of the waterfall. The formulas to use include vx = v0x and vy = v0y - gt, and the time can be found using either the distance or initial velocity in the y direction.
kingofretards

Homework Statement

Suppose a Chinook salmon needs to jump a waterfall that is 1.50 m high. If the fish starts from a distance 1.18 m from the base of the ledge over which the waterfall flows, find the x- and y-components of the initial velocity the salmon would need to just reach the ledge at the top of its trajectory.

Homework Equations

x-component
vx=v0*x + ax*t
deltax=v0x*t+.5ax*t^2
vx^2=v0x^2+2*ax*deltax

also y-components, replace x components above

v= (vx^2+vy^2)^.5 (pythagorean theorem)

theta = tan^-1 (vy/vx)

I don't know, since they're looking for the v0x and v0y, or the x- and y- components of velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I only managed to make a diagram, but otherwise, no luck.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they are looking for the added vector of the v0x and the v0y.

You are given the angle from the right triangle (with legs 1.5 and 1.18). You know you need to traverse at least 1.18 m before you reach 1.5 m in height (this can provide a time). And finally, you know the acceleration of gravity. The rest is grunt work.

Yes, but I don't know which formulas to use. I just don't know how to find time. I have the formulas ready, but if all i have is the distance, but how can I find time, if I'm looking for velocity?

For your problem there is only one formula, F = ma ?

F_x = ma_x = 0 --> v_x = v_ox --> x = x_o + v_ox*t
F_y = ma_y = -mg -->

v_y = v_oy - g*t --> y = y_o + v_oy*t - g*t^2/2

Spinnor said:
For your problem there is only one formula, F = ma ?

F_x = ma_x = 0 --> v_x = v_ox --> x = x_o + v_ox*t
F_y = ma_y = -mg -->

v_y = v_oy - g*t --> y = y_o + v_oy*t - g*t^2/2

I don't think force has anything to do with it.

kingofretards said:
I don't think force has anything to do with it.

There is no force in the x direction so when the fish "leaps" it will move in the x direction with constant velocity. In the y direction the fish moves with some initial velocity in the y direction but this velocity changes with time as the force of gravity acts on the fish.

Parabolic motion, assume the velocity of the fish in the y direction goes to zero when the fish reaches the ledge.

The time can be found with the acceleration of gravity and v0y as the initial velocity in the y direction.

Related to Relative Velocity/Two-dimensional motion

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object or person in relation to another object or person. It takes into account the motion of both objects and their relative positions.

2. How do you calculate relative velocity?

To calculate relative velocity, you need to first determine the velocity of each object and their directions. Then, you can subtract the velocity of the first object from the velocity of the second object to find their relative velocity.

3. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This means that the two objects are moving in opposite directions and their relative velocity is in the opposite direction of the faster moving object.

4. How does relative velocity differ from absolute velocity?

Relative velocity takes into account the motion of two objects in relation to each other, while absolute velocity is the motion of an object with respect to a fixed reference point. Relative velocity is also dependent on the observer's frame of reference, while absolute velocity is constant.

5. How is relative velocity used in real-life situations?

Relative velocity is used in various fields such as navigation, aviation, and astronomy. It helps in calculating the motion of objects in relation to each other, which is crucial in predicting collisions, determining optimal routes, and understanding celestial movements.