Relativistic correction of Schrödinger equation

In summary, the conversation is about a relativistic correction of the Schrödinger equation for a free particle. The participants discuss the derivation of the correction and a solution to the equation. One person presents a proof that the solution is incorrect, while the others offer their thoughts and suspicions. They eventually realize that the mistake is on the professor's behalf and the conversation ends with a suggestion to apply perturbation theory to find another interpretation of the assignment.
Jonsson
Hello there,

I've been given the relativistic correction of the Schrödinger equation for a free particle:

$$
- \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial ^2\Psi}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\hbar^4}{8m^3c^2} \frac{\partial ^4\Psi}{\partial x^4} + E_0 \Psi = i \hbar \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t}
$$

How we derived this correction is not important. It is important to note that ##E_0 = mc^2##. I am asked to prove that ##\Psi(x,t) = e^{i(kx-\omega t)}## with ##k = (2mE)^{1/2}/ \hbar## is a solution. We have also been given that this is the same ##\Psi## as is the solution of the ordinary Schrödinger equation for free particle

The problem is that I think I can prove that this is not a solution, which is controversial, because it contradicts what my professor is asking. I want to show you my proof before I present it to him, in case I made some silly mistake. Can you please scrutinize it?

We assume for contradiction that ##\Psi(x,t) = e^{i(kx-\omega t)}## is a solution. We try by inserting ##\Psi## into the equation. We get:
$$
\frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m} \Psi - \frac{\hbar^4k^4}{8m^3c^2} \Psi + E_0\Psi = \hbar \omega \Psi.
$$
Since ##k = (2mE)^{1/2}/ \hbar##, that implies ##E = \hbar^2 k^2/(2m)## which by using de Broglie identity ##E=\hbar \omega## we deduce that ##\hbar^2 k^2/(2m)##. Inserting this into the above equation, we obtain
$$
\hbar \omega \Psi - \frac{\hbar^2 \omega^2}{2mc^2} \Psi + E_0\Psi = \hbar \omega \Psi \implies \frac{\hbar^2 \omega^2}{2mc^2} \Psi = mc^2 \Psi \implies E^2 = 2 (mc^2)^2 = 2 E_0^2
$$
That means for all free particles which are described by ##\Psi## we have:
$$
2^{1/2} = \frac{E}{E_0} = \gamma,
$$
which means that ##\gamma## is equal to root two, a constant, which is impossibly correct for all free particles described by ##\Psi##.

Are you able to find mistakes in the above which destroys the argument? What are your views? Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Marius

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jonsson said:
with ##k=(2mE)^{1/2}/ \hbar##

I'm suspicious of this, because it's based on the non-relativistic relationship between momentum and kinetic energy.

Hello jtbell, thanks for your response. Are you able to define the word «suspicious»?

Thank you for your time

I'm suspicious of the E=hbar omega part.

Hello Marius,

I'm also suspicious that ##k = (2mE)^{1/2}/ \hbar## is a solution.

If I've figured correctly, the Fourier transform of your given equation is ##\frac{\hbar^4}{8m^3c^2}k^4 - \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}k^2 - E_0 = -\hbar \omega##

Doesn't a solution need an ##\omega## term also?

Thanks guys. It is obviously non-relativistic. But that doesn't matter. Why? The expression I used for ##k## is given to me implicitly by my professor, so the mistake is on his behalf (phew). So it doesn't matter. I will present this proof to him after I have worked out what he is really after. Meanwhile, I will have to find another interpretation of the assignment. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
One thing you can do is to apply the second term as a (1st order) perturbation on the Hamiltonian and then use perturbation theory to work everything out.

Related to Relativistic correction of Schrödinger equation

1. What is the Relativistic correction of Schrödinger equation?

The Relativistic correction of Schrödinger equation is a modification of the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation used to describe the behavior of quantum particles. This correction takes into account the effects of special relativity on the motion of these particles, which is important for understanding their behavior at high speeds.

2. Why is a Relativistic correction needed for the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation was originally developed to describe the behavior of non-relativistic particles, which move at speeds much slower than the speed of light. However, at high speeds, such as those reached by subatomic particles, the effects of special relativity become significant and must be taken into account for an accurate description of their behavior. This is where the Relativistic correction comes in.

3. How does the Relativistic correction affect the Schrödinger equation?

The Relativistic correction introduces additional terms to the Schrödinger equation that account for the effects of special relativity. These terms involve the particle's velocity and its relativistic mass, and they allow for a more accurate prediction of the particle's behavior at high speeds.

4. What are the implications of the Relativistic correction for quantum mechanics?

The Relativistic correction has important implications for quantum mechanics, as it allows for a more accurate description of the behavior of particles at high speeds. This is particularly important for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles in particle accelerators and other high-energy experiments.

5. Are there any limitations to the Relativistic correction of Schrödinger equation?

While the Relativistic correction improves the accuracy of the Schrödinger equation, it is still an approximation and has limitations. For example, it does not take into account the effects of quantum field theory, which is necessary for a complete understanding of particle behavior at high energies. Additionally, it does not apply to particles with spin, so a different equation, the Dirac equation, must be used for those cases.