Relativistic Energy Calculations

• Thread starter Frank Einstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary,The homework statement asks how much energy is in a system of two protons of 7TeV collision energy. The answer is 14 TeV. This is twice the energy of a photon. To compare this energy with that of an airliner, 1J=1/(1.602*10^19)eV, which is 5.2*10^25eV. We need 7.4*10^10 protons to have the same energy.
Frank Einstein

Homework Statement

Hi everybody. I was tasked with the following exercice: Two identical protons of energy 7TeV collide head on.
Which is the total energy of the system?
How is compared this energy with the one of an Airbus 320 which mass is t50*10^6Kg at a speed of 600Km/h?
How many photons do we need for the total energy was equivalent to the Airbus?

Homework Equations

I am considering that the speed of light is 1 and it has no units.
Relativistic energy: E=Sqrt(m^2+p^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

To the first question: If both photons have the same energy, the total energy of the system must be 14 TeV; exactly twice the energy of the photon.

To the second question: Here, I write the aeroplane's energy as E=Sqrt(m^2+(m*v)^2), qhere v is the speed (all in the SI). So E=Sqrt((50*10^4)^2+((50*10^4)*(166.67))^2) =8.3*10^7J.
On the other hand 1J=1/(1.602*10^19)eV; so E =5.2*10^25eV=5.2*10^11Tev.

To the third question: 5.2/7=0.74; so we need 7.4*10^10 protons to obtain the same energy.

Can someone please tell me if I have calculated the energy of the aeroplane properly?

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mix protons and photons, I guess you always mean protons.
Frank Einstein said:
To the first question: If both photons have the same energy, the total energy of the system must be 14 TeV; exactly twice the energy of the photon.
Correct.

Your Airbus mass changed from 50*106 to 50*104 kg? Both numbers are unrealistic, the mass should be somewhere in the range of 5*104 to 10*104 kg.
Frank Einstein said:
E=Sqrt(m^2+(m*v)^2)
This equation does not work if you use SI units. In the SI, the speed of light is not one.
Frank Einstein said:
Here, I write the aeroplane's energy as E=Sqrt(m^2+(m*v)^2)
That would be the total mass-energy of the airbus, but the question asks for the kinetic energy only (not explicitely, but the question wouldn't make sense otherwise).

mfb said:
You mix protons and photons, I guess you always mean protons.
Correct.

Your Airbus mass changed from 50*106 to 50*104 kg? Both numbers are unrealistic, the mass should be somewhere in the range of 5*104 to 10*104 kg.
This equation does not work if you use SI units. In the SI, the speed of light is not one.
That would be the total mass-energy of the airbus, but the question asks for the kinetic energy only (not explicitely, but the question wouldn't make sense otherwise).

Yeah, the mass of the Airbus is 5*10^4kg; it was a mistake.
Then, for the second question should I have written energy as the non relativistic 0.5*m*(v^2)?

Frank Einstein said:
Then, for the second question should I have written energy as the non relativistic 0.5*m*(v^2)?
Yes, this is a good approximation as 600 km/h is much much smaller than c.

Likes Frank Einstein
A
Orodruin said:
Yes, this is a good approximation as 600 km/h is much much smaller than c.
Allright. I gess that I will do that.

Thak you very much both of you.

Related to Relativistic Energy Calculations

What is relativity?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time for objects moving at constant speeds, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time.

How is time affected by relativity?

According to relativity, time is relative and can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference and their relative velocity. This is known as time dilation.

Can relativity be proven?

Relativity has been extensively tested and has been proven to accurately describe the behavior of the universe at both small and large scales. However, it is still considered a theory and is constantly being researched and refined.

What are some real-world applications of relativity?

Relativity has many practical applications, including GPS technology, which takes into account the effects of time dilation on satellites in orbit. It also helps explain phenomena such as gravitational lensing and the behavior of black holes.