Relativistic mass and work problem

In summary, the question is about finding the work required to give a body a velocity such that its clocks run at 1/10 the rate of lab clocks. The formula for calculating work is given, but it is not useful in this case as there are no time end points. The correct formula for work is found to be W = moc2(γ-1), which is the equation for kinetic energy and applies to any object.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

A body has rest mass of 10^5 Kg. Find how much work must be done on the body to give it a velocity such that the clocks on the body run at 1/10 of the rate of the lab clocks. compare the work energy with the rest energy of the body

Homework Equations

γ=1/√(1-(v/c)2)

E= T -moc2

The Attempt at a Solution

t'/10 = t where t' is the lab time and t is the rest frame time

so γ=10 (my prof assured me that i need not find the velocity)

Erest = moc2 = 3x1013J

So the object starts at rest and is accelerated up to a speed such that the clocks run at one tenth the time in the lab frame

the formula which i found in my textbook was

W=∫(dE/dt)dt = Ef-Ei

but this formula was not in the notes so I'm not sure if it is appropriate, yet I do have time end points t' -> t/10

yet I've seen other forumlas in which work was said to be

W = moc2(γ-1)

Some clarification would be nice :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Liquidxlax said:
the formula which i found in my textbook was

W=∫(dE/dt)dt = Ef-Ei

but this formula was not in the notes so I'm not sure if it is appropriate, yet I do have time end points t' -> t/10
The formula is correct, but is not really useful because you don't have time end points. You only know how fast the clocks are ticking relative to each other. So the work could have been done over a very long time or a very short time, you don't know.
Liquidxlax said:
yet I've seen other forumlas in which work was said to be

W = moc2(γ-1)Some clarification would be nice :)
This is correct, because it is the equation for the kinetic energy of a particle, and the particle was initially stationary, so the KE is equal to the work done on the particle.

Edit: I don't know why I'm saying particle, it could be any object.

BruceW said:
The formula is correct, but is not really useful because you don't have time end points. You only know how fast the clocks are ticking relative to each other. So the work could have been done over a very long time or a very short time, you don't know.

This is correct, because it is the equation for the kinetic energy of a particle, and the particle was initially stationary, so the KE is equal to the work done on the particle.

Edit: I don't know why I'm saying particle, it could be any object.

heaviest particle in the universe :p

thanks for the help

Related to Relativistic mass and work problem

1. What is relativistic mass and how is it different from rest mass?

Relativistic mass is the mass of an object as measured by an observer in a frame of reference that is moving relative to the object. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. Rest mass, on the other hand, is the mass of an object as measured in its own frame of reference where it is at rest.

2. How does relativistic mass affect an object's energy and momentum?

According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, relativistic mass and energy are directly proportional. This means that as an object's relativistic mass increases, so does its energy. Additionally, an object's momentum is also affected by its relativistic mass, as the equation p=mv becomes p=γmv, where γ is the Lorentz factor.

3. Can an object's relativistic mass exceed its rest mass?

Yes, an object's relativistic mass can exceed its rest mass. This occurs when an object is moving at speeds close to the speed of light. As an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, the Lorentz factor γ increases, causing its relativistic mass to also increase. However, its rest mass remains constant.

4. How is work calculated in a relativistic system?

In a relativistic system, work is calculated using the equation W=FΔx, where F is the force applied and Δx is the displacement of the object. However, this equation must be modified to take into account the relativistic mass of the object. The correct equation for work in a relativistic system is W=(γm)aΔx, where a is the acceleration of the object.

5. What is the significance of the speed of light in relativistic mass and work problems?

The speed of light, c, plays a crucial role in relativistic mass and work problems. It is the maximum speed at which an object can travel and is a fundamental constant in the theory of special relativity. Additionally, the speed of light is used in the calculation of the Lorentz factor, which is essential in determining an object's relativistic mass.