Relativistic particle in Coulomb potential - any analytic solution?

In summary: The classical motion of a relativistic charged particle in a static Coulomb potential can be solved analytically for the spatial trajectory, but not for the time dependence. This is similar to the classical Kepler motion, where the time dependence cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. Additionally, the relativistic case has a variety of solutions depending on initial conditions, including spirals and elliptic orbits. However, these orbits are never closed, and the solution also neglects radiation reaction.
petergreat
Is there a general analytic solution to the classical motion of a relativistic charged particle in a static Coulomb potential? Of course, the non-relativistic limit is simply Kepler's problem. Quantum effects should be ignored, but relativistic effects (such as E field transforming into B field) should be fully included.

Physics news on Phys.org
petergreat said:
Quantum effects should be ignored, but relativistic effects (such as E field transforming into B field) should be fully included.
So you want a solution that also takes into account the action of the particle's field on the external field? (radiation reaction, Schott's term?) In this case I don't think there is an exact solution. The best you can get is a perturbative method (as far as I know). If instead you mean simply a relativistic motion (no slow motion approximation), without radiation, then look, for example, the Landau-Lifsitz book.

If you mean bound states of the electron or other charged particles in a static central Coulomb field, look (for spin 1/2 particles) at the chapter on the relativistic solution of the hydrogen atom in Dirac Principles of Quantum Mechanics (4th Ed.) page 272, or Schiff Quantum Mechanics Eq 44.26 (page 337). For spin zero particles (e.g., pions), look at Eq 42.21 in Schiff.

Bob S

Bob S said:
If you mean bound states of the electron or other charged particles in a static central Coulomb field, look (for spin 1/2 particles) at the chapter on the relativistic solution of the hydrogen atom in Dirac Principles of Quantum Mechanics (4th Ed.) page 272, or Schiff Quantum Mechanics Eq 44.26 (page 337). For spin zero particles (e.g., pions), look at Eq 42.21 in Schiff.

Bob S

I'm aware that the Dirac equation for a bound electron can be solved analytically. However, I'm wondering whether analytic solutions can be found for classical motion, if we ignore radiation reaction?

petergreat said:
I'm aware that the Dirac equation for a bound electron can be solved analytically. However, I'm wondering whether analytic solutions can be found for classical motion, if we ignore radiation reaction?

Yes, in this case a closed solution exists (I already gave you a reference, but I guess you'll find lots of articles googling), but only for the spatial trajectory of the particle, not for the time dependence (this is also the case for classical Kepler motion: we can show that trajectories are elliptic, parabolic or hyperbolic, but the time dependence is not expressible in terms of elementary functions). In the relativistic case, depending on the initial conditions (and of course if the two charges have same or opposite signs) you get a whole class of solutions: spirals that fall into the center in a finite time, elliptic orbits that show precession, etc... in any case the orbits are never closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
alxm said:

At your link, the non-quantum stuff that petergreat wants is given under the heading Relativistic orbit, up to, but not including, "With the quantum conditions ...".

petergreat, notice that the equation of motion mathematically (but not physically, for reasons given by Petr Mugver) is the same as the equation of motion for an undamped harmonic oscillator under the influence of a constant additional force.

petergreat said:
Is there a general analytic solution to the classical motion of a relativistic charged particle in a static Coulomb potential? Of course, the non-relativistic limit is simply Kepler's problem. Quantum effects should be ignored, but relativistic effects (such as E field transforming into B field) should be fully included.

Analytic solutions for the "classical" case (absence of radiation breaking) exist but they are very tricky to derive. I think that what you want can be seen in the third attachment of https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=1928 blog.

petergreat said:

Not as far as I know. The problem is that the two-bodies are accelerated and emit electromagnetic waves. Thus, the problem becomes a coupled problem about the dynamics of two point particles and the electromagnetic field evolution that they create.

There is an approximate procedure where one can deduce a Lagrangian for a system of point charges up to terms of the order [itex]O((u/c)^{2})[/itex] - Darwin Lagrangian by neglecting the radiating degrees of freedom.

I don't know if the Kepler problem using this Lagrangian is analytically solvable or not.

Petr Mugver said:
Yes, in this case a closed solution exists (I already gave you a reference, but I guess you'll find lots of articles googling), but only for the spatial trajectory of the particle, not for the time dependence (this is also the case for classical Kepler motion: we can show that trajectories are elliptic, parabolic or hyperbolic, but the time dependence is not expressible in terms of elementary functions). In the relativistic case, depending on the initial conditions (and of course if the two charges have same or opposite signs) you get a whole class of solutions: spirals that fall into the center in a finite time, elliptic orbits that show precession, etc... in any case the orbits are never closed.

Yes, this is correct.

Related to Relativistic particle in Coulomb potential - any analytic solution?

1. What is a relativistic particle in a Coulomb potential?

A relativistic particle in a Coulomb potential is a theoretical concept that describes the behavior of a charged particle moving in a Coulomb potential field while also taking into account the effects of relativity. This means that the particle's velocity and energy are no longer constant, but depend on its momentum and mass.

2. Is there an analytic solution for the relativistic particle in a Coulomb potential?

Yes, there is an analytic solution for the relativistic particle in a Coulomb potential, known as the "Klein-Gordon equation." This equation describes the behavior of a scalar particle (such as a Higgs boson) in a Coulomb potential under the principles of special relativity.

3. What are the key features of the analytic solution for the relativistic particle in a Coulomb potential?

The key features of the analytic solution for the relativistic particle in a Coulomb potential include the particle's energy levels, wave functions, and probability densities. These features can be calculated using the Klein-Gordon equation and provide insight into the behavior of the particle in the Coulomb potential field.

4. How does the analytic solution for the relativistic particle in a Coulomb potential differ from the non-relativistic solution?

The analytic solution for the relativistic particle in a Coulomb potential differs from the non-relativistic solution in several ways. Firstly, the relativistic solution takes into account the effects of special relativity, which means that the particle's energy and momentum are no longer constant. Additionally, the relativistic solution also includes the spin of the particle, which is not present in the non-relativistic solution.

5. What are the practical applications of the analytic solution for the relativistic particle in a Coulomb potential?

The analytic solution for the relativistic particle in a Coulomb potential has various practical applications in the field of particle physics. It can be used to study the behavior of subatomic particles, such as the Higgs boson, in a Coulomb potential field. This solution also has implications for understanding the behavior of charged particles in other potential fields and can help in the development of new technologies, such as particle accelerators.