Relativity, 4-momentum and 4-velocity

In summary, the particle has 4-momentum and is detected by an observer with four-velocity. The speed of the particle in the observer's frame is given by \sqrt{1-\frac{(\textbf{P}.\textbf{P})c^2}{(\textbf{P}.\textbf{U})^2}}.
Mathmos6

Homework Statement

A particle with 4-momentum [itex]\textbf{P}[/itex] is detected by an observer with four-velocity U. Show that the speed, v, of the detected particle in the observers rest frame is given by [itex]\sqrt{1-\frac{(\textbf{P}.\textbf{P})c^2}{(\textbf{P}.\textbf{U})^2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I have a feeling [itex]E=mc^2=\sqrt{p^2c^2+(m_0c^2)^2}[/itex] will be of use...

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start on this one, relativity confuses me! :( Any help would be hugely appreciated - thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mathmos6! :smile:
Mathmos6 said:
I have a feeling [itex]E=mc^2=\sqrt{p^2c^2+(m_0c^2)^2}[/itex] will be of use...

Nooo … the question and answer use 4-vectors, not their components (E and p).

Hint: 4-momentum = rest-mass times 4-velocity, so P.P = … ?

Then use the Lorentz transformation. :wink:

Could the OP double check that he posted the question properly. There are some thing about it that don't seem to make sense to me. Can anyone confirm if they've solved it or not.

LongLiveYorke said:
Could the OP double check that he posted the question properly. There are some thing about it that don't seem to make sense to me. Can anyone confirm if they've solved it or not.

Yahuh it's posted correctly!

tiny-tim said:
Hi Mathmos6! :smile:Nooo … the question and answer use 4-vectors, not their components (E and p).

Hint: 4-momentum = rest-mass times 4-velocity, so P.P = … ?

Then use the Lorentz transformation. :wink:

Correct me where I went wrong:

P.P = [itex]m^{2}[/itex] (or maybe with a minus sign depending on the metric, but let's assume it's positive)

U.U = [itex]c^{2}[/itex]

P = mU, so P.U = m

Hence, [itex] \frac{P.P} { (P.U)^{2}} = \frac{m^{2}} { (m)^{2}} = 1[/itex]

I'm sorry but I still can't see how to do it :( I played around with the vectors for a while but didn't really get anywhere - a little further guidance maybe?

LongLiveYorke said:

P.P = [itex]m^{2}[/itex] (or maybe with a minus sign depending on the metric, but let's assume it's positive)
Since when does 4-momentum have units of mass?

U.U = [itex]c^{2}[/itex]
What makes you think that the observer is traveling at the speed of light?

Mathmos6 said:
I'm sorry but I still can't see how to do it :( I played around with the vectors for a while but didn't really get anywhere - a little further guidance maybe?

Start by answering tiny tim's question...what is P.P in terms of rest mass and the 4-velocity of the particle?

gabbagabbahey said:
What makes you think that the observer is traveling at the speed of light?

Maybe I'm missing something, then. When I write U.U, I mean the 4-dot product between 4 vectors. Is that what the problem means as stated when it writes U.P and P.P?

ie

U.U = [itex] g_{\mu \nu} U^{\mu} U^{\nu} [/itex]

LongLiveYorke said:

U.U = [itex]c^{2}[/itex]

P = mU, so P.U = m

Hence, [itex] \frac{P.P} { (P.U)^{2}} = \frac{m^{2}} { (m)^{2}} = 1[/itex]

I think your problem is that you are taking U to be the 4-velocity of the particle whereas it is actually the 4-velocity of the observer relative to some other frame. P is also relative to this other frame.

Last edited:
Mmmm said:
I think your problem is that you are taking U to be the 4-velocity of the particle whereas it is actually the 4-velocity of the observer relative to some other frame. P is also relative to this other frame.

Ah, okay, this problem makes 1000% more sense now. Thanks for the help.

To the OP:

There's a really nice trick to this problem. Remember that a quantity like U.P (where they are both 4 vectors) is an invariant, meaning that it will be the same when measured in any frame. So, the key is to pick the right frame to calculate this dot product.

Ahh brilliant! Thankyou so much for your help everyone, got it sorted now :)

FAQ: Relativity, 4-momentum and 4-velocity

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a set of two theories (special and general) that explain the relationships between space, time, and gravity. It is based on the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. What is 4-momentum?

4-momentum is a quantity used in special relativity to describe the momentum of a particle in four-dimensional space-time. It takes into account both the spatial momentum and the energy of the particle, and is represented by a four-component vector.

3. What is 4-velocity?

4-velocity is a quantity used in special relativity to describe the velocity of an object in four-dimensional space-time. It takes into account both the spatial velocity and the time dilation of the object, and is represented by a four-component vector.

4. How do 4-momentum and 4-velocity relate to each other?

4-momentum and 4-velocity are related by the equation p = mv, where p is the 4-momentum, m is the mass of the object, and v is the 4-velocity. This equation takes into account the relativistic effects of time dilation and length contraction on the momentum and velocity of an object.

5. What are some applications of relativity, 4-momentum, and 4-velocity?

Relativity, 4-momentum, and 4-velocity have numerous applications in physics, including in high-energy particle collisions, cosmology, and space travel. They are also essential for understanding the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as in nuclear reactors and particle accelerators.