Relevance of past research during PhD admission

In summary, a physics student is seeking advice on whether it is common to change research topics between a master's thesis and a PhD, as well as the potential impact on their admission decision. They are currently working on a master's thesis that is related to their desired PhD topic in the same branch of physics, but not as closely connected as they had originally thought. They are also concerned about lacking experimental skills for their desired PhD topic. The conversation also touches on the transferability of skills and the potential influence of a potential supervisor on the admission decision.
maNoFchangE
Hello everyone,
I'm a physics student and have got a matter that has been bothering me, therefore I would like to hear your opinion and perhaps your experiences.
So now I have been doing my master thesis and I plan to find a PhD position after graduation. The problem is I want to take a topic for my PhD research which is different from my current master thesis topic. They are actually not far apart though, they are still under the same branch of physics. The thing is, it's not that I suddenly wanted to change research subject, when I decided to undertake my current research topic I thought that it will have some relevance with the topic of my desired future research in PhD. But after a while working in my current research, I realized that it doesn't have a very strong connection with the one I aimed for in the PhD.
So what I want to hear from you is that is it common for a student to change research topics between the one in master and that in PhD? Will the difference in the research area become part of the judgement process by the admission committee when I apply for a PhD later in the future?
In addition in case you have similar experience as mine during your graduate time, was it though in your PhD research when your previous research subjects were different? In my case I guess the problem would be only in the areas of research skills, because I have taken courses strongly related to the subject I aim for in PhD but I will surely lack experimental skill by the time I start my PhD.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
maNoFchangE said:
So what I want to hear from you is that is it common for a student to change research topics between the one in master and that in PhD?
Let's say it is not uncommon. For a more detailed answer it would be interesting to know the fields you are talking about.
maNoFchangE said:
because I have taken courses strongly related to the subject I aim for in PhD
That helps.
"Experimental skill" is very transferable - how to adjust specific components of a setup (as an example) is easy to learn, learning how to do that in a systematic way is the important part and mainly independent of the topic.
Sometimes the subfield of physics contains so many different things that you switch between completely different tasks even within a PhD project.

I'm interested in the area of the study of electron dynamics in an atom. While now I'm working on diffraction imaging, one thing that connects them is that they both use photons in the same frequency region to study the dynamics (former) or illuminate the sample (latter), in other words the same source of photons. But you know that the similarity is just in the tool they use to study the main object. I'm not sure there have been many people in the same position as me, that is want to change between research areas I mentioned above. But what about the influence on the admission decision, any idea?

maNoFchangE said:
But what about the influence on the admission decision, any idea?
I don't know how that decision would be done at the places where you consider an application. Sometimes you just have to convince the potential supervisor, sometimes a larger group. Either way, there are many different aspects that influence the decision, including "do we think we can work together with this person?" (and that is an important part).

Related to Relevance of past research during PhD admission

1. What is the relevance of past research during PhD admission?

Past research serves as an important factor in PhD admission as it demonstrates the applicant's research abilities, interests, and potential for future success in the program. It also shows the applicant's familiarity with the field and their motivation for pursuing a PhD.

2. How much weight does past research carry in the PhD admission process?

The weight of past research in the PhD admission process varies among institutions and programs. However, it is generally considered a significant factor and may be weighted equally or even more heavily than other application materials such as test scores or letters of recommendation.

3. Can past research in a different field be relevant for a PhD program?

While past research in the same field as the PhD program is preferred, research experience in a related field can also be relevant. It shows the applicant's ability to conduct research, analyze data, and think critically, which are important skills for a PhD program.

4. How recent should past research be for it to be considered relevant?

Ideally, past research should be recent and demonstrate the applicant's current knowledge and skills in the field. However, if an applicant's research experience is from a few years ago, it can still be relevant if it is related to the PhD program and demonstrates their capabilities as a researcher.

5. Is past research the only factor considered for PhD admission?

No, past research is only one aspect of the PhD admission process. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as academic transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. However, past research can be a crucial factor that sets an applicant apart from others and demonstrates their potential for success in the program.