Religious Schools Frowned Upon In Physics Community?

In summary: Notre Dame is a fine physics graduate program. I know of at least one professor that taught me that had a PhD from there. I would not worry about it.People look at the curriculum, not the affiliations of the school. Most serious religious schools do not have good science programs, so that is where people would have issues. Notre Dame however is an exception to that, they have great programs there and if you can get in, it would be well worth it.King's College London is a traditionally religious school. Didn't stop J.C. Maxwell from lecturing there.
Eleknar
"Religious" Schools Frowned Upon In Physics Community?

The University of Notre Dame is a very well know school located in northern Indiana. I live approximately 20 minutes away from the Notre Dame campus and I would absolutely love to be able to get into their Physics Ph.D. program after earning my B.S. The school is technically a Catholic school but, as far as I know, their curriculum does not mesh science with religion. Still though, it's technically a "religious school" and, as we all know, science and religion do not always play well together. Would the fact that they're a Catholic school negatively impact my future job prospects in physics, despite the fact that it's an excellent school?

Physics news on Phys.org
One of my physics professors got his PhD from the University of Notre Dame. Also, I don't think I've heard anything bad about that university. As for religious schools in general, as long as it has a respectable curriculum you'll be fine.

Mmm_Pasta said:
One of my physics professors got his PhD from the University of Notre Dame. Also, I don't think I've heard anything bad about that university. As for religious schools in general, as long as it has a respectable curriculum you'll be fine.

That's what I'm hoping. They have a very low acceptance rate though, so I'm definitely not giving my hopes up. It's just something of a dream, really, that I will at least attempt to make reality.

Eleknar said:
That's what I'm hoping. They have a very low acceptance rate though, so I'm definitely not giving my hopes up. It's just something of a dream, really, that I will at least attempt to make reality.

Haven't I seen you somewhere before, Eleknar? Oh yeah, I remember...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsmzDL61oME

You can do it, Eleknar, I have faith in you!:smile:

Last edited:
DiracPool said:
Haven't I seen you somewhere before, Eleknar? Oh yeah, I remember...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsmzDL61oME

You can do it, Eleknar, I have faith in you!:smile:

Lol, whatever. I'm way taller and way more bearded.

Notre Dame is a fine physics graduate program. I know of at least one professor that taught me that had a PhD from there. I would not worry about it.

People look at the curriculum, not the affiliations of the school. Most serious religious schools do not have good science programs, so that is where people would have issues. Notre Dame however is an exception to that, they have great programs there and if you can get in, it would be well worth it.

King's College London is a traditionally religious school.

Didn't stop J.C. Maxwell from lecturing there.

I think you have nothing to worry about.

Thank you all for the input and the encouragement!

Related to Religious Schools Frowned Upon In Physics Community?

What is the general attitude towards religious schools in the physics community?

The general attitude towards religious schools in the physics community is mixed. Some physicists believe that the teachings of religion and science are incompatible and therefore frown upon the idea of religious schools. However, there are also physicists who believe that religion and science can coexist and therefore do not have a negative attitude towards religious schools.

Why do some physicists frown upon religious schools?

Some physicists frown upon religious schools because they believe that the teachings of religion, which often rely on faith and belief rather than evidence and experimentation, go against the principles of the scientific method. They also argue that teaching creationism or intelligent design in science classes goes against the established theories and evidence of evolution.

Do religious schools teach physics differently than secular schools?

It depends on the specific religious school. Some religious schools may teach physics in the same way as secular schools, focusing on the principles and laws of physics without incorporating religious beliefs. However, some religious schools may incorporate their religious beliefs into the teaching of physics, which can be seen as problematic by some physicists.

Are there any notable physicists who have come from religious schools?

Yes, there are notable physicists who have come from religious schools. For example, Georges Lemaître, who proposed the theory of the Big Bang, was educated in a Catholic school. However, it is worth noting that these physicists may have chosen to separate their religious beliefs from their scientific work.

Should religious schools be discouraged from teaching physics?

This is a controversial question and there is no clear answer. Some physicists argue that religious schools should not be allowed to teach physics as it goes against the principles of science. However, others believe that as long as religious schools follow the same curriculum and standards as secular schools, they should be allowed to teach physics. Ultimately, the decision should be based on the individual school and its approach to teaching physics.