Remington Univac Mainframe 1950s Commercial - Blast from the Past

• Thread starter aquitaine
  • Start date
In summary: What a great movie ! Christopher Walken had the engineer Dad just nailed.I well remember that night JFK came on TV about the missiles in Cuba. My family lived in Miami, we kids were astounded by the trainloads of troops and tanks in the FEC rail yard. We rode our bikes out to talk to the soldiers.Scary time.
aquitaine
I recently stumbled across this, an old 1950's commercial for the Remington Univac mainframe. I think it's nice to look back on such things and marvel at how far computing has come since then.

Edit by Borek: video added directly to the post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cool. Thanks for sharing. I love the old computer stuff. One of my favorite books is Hackers by Steven Levy. It starts out way back at MIT ...

Those old commercials are great. Thanks for posting that!

Evo said:

I like when the hosts of the shows did the commercials themselves.

CFDFEAGURU said:
I like when the hosts of the shows did the commercials themselves.
Yes, they were so different from the commercials of today. Many commercials now are a form of entertainment, I watch some and afterwards could not tell you what the product was.

Due to my DVR, I hardly ever see a commercial anymore. I miss out on a lot of movie previews. Movies are all that I watch. And the Pittsburgh Penguins. I have given up on regular TV.

Speaking of movies, when I first noticed the title of this thread I thought it was in connection with the move "A Blast From The Past".

Thanks for posting aquitaine. Those old commercials take me back to my early childhood years. However, that one predates me by just a little.

TurtleMeister said:
Speaking of movies, when I first noticed the title of this thread I thought it was in connection with the move "A Blast From The Past".

Thanks for posting aquitaine. Those old commercials take me back to my early childhood years. However, that one predates me by just a little.

What a great movie ! Christopher Walken had the engineer Dad just nailed.

I well remember that night JFK came on TV about the missiles in Cuba.
My family lived in Miami, we kids were astounded by the trainloads of troops and tanks in the FEC rail yard. We rode our bikes out to talk to the soldiers.

Scary time.

Evo said:

You're welcome. I sometimes find myself having a flare for old school tech and enjoy watching old videos about it like this.

Related to Remington Univac Mainframe 1950s Commercial - Blast from the Past

1. What is a Remington Univac Mainframe?

The Remington Univac Mainframe was a computer system produced by the Remington Rand company in the 1950s. It was one of the first commercially available mainframe computers and was used for data processing and scientific computing.

2. How does the Remington Univac Mainframe differ from modern computers?

The Remington Univac Mainframe was a large and bulky machine that used vacuum tubes for processing, whereas modern computers use smaller and faster transistors. It also had limited storage and processing capabilities compared to modern computers.

3. What was the purpose of the "Blast from the Past" commercial?

The purpose of the "Blast from the Past" commercial was to showcase the advanced technology of the Remington Univac Mainframe and its capabilities in data processing and scientific computing. It was also a way for Remington Rand to market their product to potential customers.

4. How did the Remington Univac Mainframe impact the field of computing?

The Remington Univac Mainframe was a major milestone in the development of computers and played a significant role in advancing data processing and scientific computing. It opened up new possibilities for businesses and governments to store and process large amounts of data, and paved the way for future advancements in computing technology.

5. Is the Remington Univac Mainframe still in use today?

No, the Remington Univac Mainframe is no longer in use today as it has been replaced by more advanced and efficient computer systems. However, its legacy and impact on the field of computing can still be seen in modern technologies.