Removing units from Schrodingers equation

• Thread starter Avatrin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem regarding an electron in a one dimensional finite square well and the use of Euler's method to find the solution. The issue of the values outside of the well being too small for Python is raised and the possibility of making the equations unitless is considered. Several constants are mentioned, including the reduced Planck's constant and the mass of an electron, and the value of the step size is discussed. The conversation also mentions the use of reduced atomic units in simulations.
Avatrin

Homework Statement

I am working on a problem regarding an electron in a one dimensional finite square well. I start off with [itex]\psi(x,0)[/itex] which is the symmetric solution to the time-independent Schrodinger equation for the well. Then I can use Euler's method to find [itex]\psi(x,t)[/itex] for the other values of t (for an animation), ie, I use:

[tex] \psi(x,t+dt) = \psi(x,t) + dt*\hat{H}\psi(x,t)[/tex]

Where [itex] \hat{H}[/itex] is the hamiltonian.

However, I am encountering a problem:
I think the values outside of the well are too small for Python; When I use the actual values for the speed of light, the electron mass and Planck's constant, I do not get an animation that makes sense; Actually, I do not get any animation at all. However, when I set all of the mentioned values equal to one, while the animaton still does not seem correct, it at least gives me an animation.

So, I am thinking of making my equations unitless. However, I do not know how. I have the following six constants:

[tex] \frac{V}{\hbar}\quad{\rm}\quad \frac{\hbar}{2m} \quad{\rm }\quad \kappa := \frac{\sqrt{-2mE}}{\hbar} \quad{\rm }\quad l:= \frac{\sqrt{2m(E+V)}}{\hbar} [/tex]
[tex]A=\frac{e^{\kappa a}\cos{la}}{\sqrt{a+1/\kappa}} \quad{\rm }\quad B=\frac{1}{\sqrt{a+1/\kappa}}[/tex]

Here a is half the width of the potential square well, and [itex]\hbar[/itex] is Planck's reduced constant. E is the particles energy and V is the depth of the potential well. Finally, m is the mass of an electron.

Homework Equations

[tex] -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} + V(x)\psi = i \hbar\frac{d\psi}{dt} [/tex]

[tex]-V<E<0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see the relation between the third of and fourth constants; [itex]\sqrt{\frac{-V}{E} - 1}[/itex]. The other constant, however, I am not certain how to make unitless.

Also, of course, there is no guarantee that my program will work when I make Schrodinger's equation and [itex]\psi(x,t)[/itex] unitless. So, I would love all advice that can potentially lead me to the solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
You may be right. However, what should the step size be? In picoseconds?

Also, here is my animation when I changed the units to one ([itex]|\psi|^2[/itex]). Does it look right?
It changes into the same curve no matter what [itex]\psi(x,0)[/itex] is.

movie.gif

Last edited:
Likes Avatrin

Related to Removing units from Schrodingers equation

What is Schrodingers equation?

Schrodingers equation is a mathematical equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes over time.

Why would units need to be removed from Schrodingers equation?

Units may need to be removed from Schrodingers equation in order to make it dimensionless, which is necessary for certain calculations and comparisons in quantum mechanics.

How can units be removed from Schrodingers equation?

Units can be removed from Schrodingers equation by using natural units, which are a system of units where fundamental constants such as the speed of light and Planck's constant are set to 1.

What is the benefit of removing units from Schrodingers equation?

Removing units from Schrodingers equation allows for a simpler and more elegant form of the equation, making it easier to work with and understand.

Are there any limitations to removing units from Schrodingers equation?

While removing units from Schrodingers equation can be useful, it is important to note that it is not always appropriate or necessary, and should be done with caution. Some calculations may still require units to be included.