Repeated coin flip probability.

In summary, player A and player B are flipping coins with different probabilities of landing on heads. The chances of player A winning in various win conditions are calculated by using the formula P(W) = P(W|H)P(H) + P(W|T)P(T). To simplify the process, certain scenarios can be disregarded or combined, making the calculations more efficient. It is important to consider all possible scenarios in order to accurately calculate the chances of player A winning.
Poly

Homework Statement

You have two players, player A and player B. Player A begins by flipping a coin, his coin lands on heads with a probability P1. If the coin lands on tails then player B begins flipping his coin, which lands on heads with a probability P2.
What are the chances that A wins, if the win conditions are:

The first person to,
a) throw two heads in a row.
b) throw at least two heads.
c) throw three heads in a row.
d) throw at least three heads.

Homework Equations

P(W) = P(W|H)P(H) + P(W|T)P(T)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, just so I'm clear on this, I'm confident I know how to solve the problem, the issue is the way I am currently solving the problem takes a lot of time and algebra.

I believe I've correctly solved part a with [tex]\frac{P1^2}{P1^2 + P2^2 - P1^2*P2^2}[/tex]. I did this by conditioning on the first coin flip, conditioning on the second coin flip for both of the conditionals, tied some loose ends, and then went through the algebra.

So I'm trying the same approach with the second one, but I get this monster.

Let W be the event A wins, T the event a tails is flipped and H the event a heads is flipped.

P(W) = P(W|H)P(H) + P(W|T)P(T)
P(W|H)= P(W|HH)P(H) + P(W|HT)P(T), P(W|HH) = 1
P(W|HT) = P(W|HTH)P(H) + P(W|HTT)P(T), P(W|HTT) = P(W|H)
P(W|HTH)=P(W|HTHH)P(H) +P(W|HTHT)P(T), P(W|HTHH) = 0
P(W|HTHT) = P(W|HTHTH)P(H) + P(W|HTHTT)P(T), P(W|HTHTT) = P(W|HTH), P(W|HTHTH) = 1

et cetera.

I'm confident I'm doing it right, but this method gets old really fast. I believe my professor could more or less skip the intermediate steps by drawing a tree, That method has certainly helped me, especially for the first problem, but it's still tedious. So just as a sanity check, I was curious if the problems really are this terrible, or if there is some clever trick or idea that would make this go smoother...Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your approach to solving the problem. However, there are a few things you could do to simplify the process and make it more efficient.

For part a), you can use the formula you mentioned, P(W) = P(W|H)P(H) + P(W|T)P(T), but you can also simplify it to P(W) = P1P1 + P1P2. This is because if player A flips two heads in a row, then player B does not get a chance to flip their coin. So the only way for player A to win is if they flip two heads in a row on their first two flips. This simplifies the formula and makes it easier to calculate.

For part b), you can use a similar approach. The chance of player A winning is the chance of them flipping two heads in a row on their first two flips (P1P1), plus the chance of them flipping at least two heads in a row on their first two flips (P1P2). This takes into account the possibility of player B flipping a head on their first flip.

For part c), you can use the same approach as part a) and simplify the formula to P(W) = P1P1P1 + P1P2P1P1 + P1P2P2P1P1. This takes into account the different possible scenarios where player A can flip three heads in a row on their first three flips.

For part d), you can use a similar approach as part b) and simplify the formula to P(W) = P1P1P1 + P1P2P1P1 + P1P2P2P1P1 + P1P2P2P2P1P1. This takes into account all the possible scenarios where player A can flip at least three heads in a row on their first three flips.

I hope this helps and makes the process a bit easier for you. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Repeated coin flip probability.

1. What is the probability of getting heads or tails on a single coin flip?

The probability of getting heads or tails on a single coin flip is 50%, or 0.5. This is because there are only two possible outcomes and they are equally likely.

2. How many times do I need to flip a coin to get a specific outcome?

The number of times you need to flip a coin to get a specific outcome depends on the probability of that outcome. For example, if you want to get heads 3 times in a row, the probability would be (0.5)^3 = 0.125. This means you would need to flip the coin 3 times on average to get 3 heads in a row.

3. What is the probability of getting a certain number of heads or tails in a row?

The probability of getting a certain number of heads or tails in a row depends on the number of flips and the probability of the individual outcome. For example, the probability of getting 4 heads in a row in 10 flips would be (0.5)^4 = 0.0625, or about 6.25%.

4. How does the number of coin flips affect the overall probability?

The more times you flip a coin, the closer the actual probability will be to the theoretical probability. For example, if you flip a coin 10 times, you may get 7 heads and 3 tails, but if you flip it 1000 times, you are more likely to get closer to 500 heads and 500 tails. This is because as the number of flips increases, the relative frequency of each outcome will approach the theoretical probability.

5. Can the probability of getting heads or tails change over time?

No, the probability of getting heads or tails does not change over time. Each coin flip is an independent event and the probability of getting a specific outcome remains constant at 50%. This means that even if you have flipped heads 10 times in a row, the probability of getting heads on the next flip is still 50%.