Repeating fequency modulation scan averaging

• Thread starter mcfeebo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modulation
In summary, the speaker is asking for help with finding a software or Matlab routine that can interpret and average a repeating waveform from a data signal file. The dataset is continuous and includes 100 repetitions of the waveform, with the possibility of some noise in each scan. The speaker also mentions being able to specify the start of each scan in Matlab, but is wondering if there is an automatic way to do this.
mcfeebo
Hello,

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this, but I'll give it a shot. I am recording a laser signal through my experiment which is running an FM scan at 20 kHz. The time scale of the experiment I'm running is much larger than the 20 kHz signal, so each scan is about the same. In the end I get a data signal file (through my DAQ) which has around 100 repetitions of this scan. I am wondering if anyone knows of any type of software or Matlab routine which could interpret and average the repeating waveform for me. Each particular waveform may have a bit of noise affecting the sample, but when averaged with the others this should drop out (to a respectable degree).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the dataset continuous, i.e. the 100 scans are back to back with no indication when the next scan starts? Or do you know the position of the 100 scans? If you know where the 100 scans are, it should be no problem to average the 100 scan vectors in Matlab.

MRFMengineer said:
Is the dataset continuous, i.e. the 100 scans are back to back with no indication when the next scan starts? Or do you know the position of the 100 scans? If you know where the 100 scans are, it should be no problem to average the 100 scan vectors in Matlab.

The dataset is continuous, very similar to a ramp function. I could tell Matlab where each scan begins, but I was wondering if anyone was aware of a program or function that could do this automatically.

Related to Repeating fequency modulation scan averaging

What is repeating frequency modulation scan averaging?

Repeating frequency modulation scan averaging is a technique used in signal processing to improve the accuracy and resolution of a signal. It involves repeatedly scanning a signal at different frequencies and averaging the results to reduce noise and improve the overall quality of the signal.

How does repeating frequency modulation scan averaging work?

The process of repeating frequency modulation scan averaging involves scanning a signal at multiple frequencies and then combining the results through averaging. This helps to reduce the impact of random noise and improve the overall signal-to-noise ratio.

What are the benefits of using repeating frequency modulation scan averaging?

Repeating frequency modulation scan averaging can provide several benefits, including improved signal accuracy, increased signal resolution, and reduced noise. It can also help to enhance the detection of weak signals and improve the overall quality of a signal.

What types of signals can benefit from repeating frequency modulation scan averaging?

Repeating frequency modulation scan averaging can be used for a wide range of signals, including audio, video, and data signals. It can also be applied to various types of signals in different fields, such as medical imaging, radar, and telecommunications.

Are there any limitations to repeating frequency modulation scan averaging?

While repeating frequency modulation scan averaging can be a powerful tool for improving signal quality, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be effective for signals with very high levels of noise or for signals that are constantly changing. Additionally, it may require specialized equipment and expertise to implement effectively.