Representation of second quantization

In summary, the operators for density and number of particles don't form a complete set, and the density operator is the diagonal element of the number of particles operator.
Petar Mali
In coordinate representation in QM probality density is:

[tex]\rho(\vec{r})=\psi^*(\vec{r})\psi(\vec{r})[/tex]

in RSQ representation operator of density of particles is

[tex]\hat{n}(\vec{r})=\hat{\psi}^{\dagger}(\vec{r})\hat{\psi}(\vec{r})[/tex]

Is this some relation between this operator and density matrix?

Operator of number of particles is

[tex]\hat{N}=\int d^3\vec{r}\hat{\psi}^{\dagger}(\vec{r})\hat{\psi}(\vec{r})[/tex]

Why I can now use

[tex]\hat{\psi}^{\dagger}(\vec{r})=\sum_k\hat{a}_k^{\dagger}\varphi^*_k(\vec{r})\qquad \hat{\psi}(\vec{r})=\sum_k\hat{a}_k\varphi_k(\vec{r})[/tex] ?

where [tex]\{\varphi_k\}[/tex] is complete ortonormal set.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Petar Mali said:
[tex]\hat{n}(\vec{r})=\hat{\psi}^{\dagger}(\vec{r})\hat{\psi}(\vec{r})[/tex]

Is this some relation between this operator and density matrix?

Which operator? What's [tex]\hat{\psi}^{\dagger}[/tex]? Do you mean [tex]a^\dagger|\psi>[/tex]?

Anyway, the matrix elements for creation/annhilation operators are:
[tex]<m|a^\dagger|n> = \sqrt{n+1}\delta_{m,n+1}[/tex]
[tex]<m|a|n> = \sqrt{n}\delta_{m,n-1}[/tex]

They don't form a complete set; the creation/annihilation operators aren't self-adjoint.

alxm said:
Which operator? What's [tex]\hat{\psi}^{\dagger}[/tex]? Do you mean [tex]a^\dagger|\psi>[/tex]?

Anyway, the matrix elements for creation/annhilation operators are:
[tex]<m|a^\dagger|n> = \sqrt{n+1}\delta_{m,n+1}[/tex]
[tex]<m|a|n> = \sqrt{n}\delta_{m,n-1}[/tex]

They don't form a complete set; the creation/annihilation operators aren't self-adjoint.

I defined

[tex]
\hat{\psi}^{\dagger}(\vec{r})=\sum_k\hat{a}_k^{\dagger}\varphi^*_k(\vec{r})\qquad \hat{\psi}(\vec{r})=\sum_k\hat{a}_k\varphi_k(\vec{ r})
[/tex]

[tex]\hat{a}_k^{\dagger},\hat{a}_k[/tex] are operators you talking about and [tex]
\{\varphi_k\}
[/tex] form complete set. You did not read my post.

I usually think of the density matrix as something like
[tex]
\hat\rho(r,r') = \hat\psi^\dagger(r) \hat\psi(r')
[/tex]
so your density operator would be the diagonal element.

I think your question about the transform relies on the assumption that you can write
[tex]
\delta(r) = \sum_k \phi_k(r)
[/tex]
which certainly works for [tex]\phi_k[/tex] as plane waves but I am not sure about other basis sets.

It's late and I'm tired so I apologize if this doesn't make much sense.

FAQ: Representation of second quantization

1. What is second quantization?

Second quantization is a mathematical framework used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions. It involves representing particles as quantum fields and using operators to describe their creation and annihilation.

2. How does second quantization differ from first quantization?

In first quantization, particles are represented as discrete objects with definite positions and momenta. In second quantization, they are described as quantum fields that can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

3. What are the advantages of using second quantization?

Second quantization allows for a more elegant and efficient way of describing many-body systems, where the interactions between particles can become very complex. It also allows for the treatment of indistinguishable particles, such as electrons, which is not possible in first quantization.

4. What is the role of creation and annihilation operators in second quantization?

Creation and annihilation operators are used to describe the creation and destruction of particles in a quantum field. They act on the state of the system and can change the number of particles present. They also satisfy specific commutation relations, which are crucial for calculations in second quantization.

5. How is second quantization applied in practical research and experiments?

Second quantization is used extensively in theoretical research to study the behavior of complex quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules. It is also applied in experimental settings, such as in quantum computing, where particles are manipulated and measured using the principles of second quantization.