Representation of the wave crests

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding the doppler shift of a siren sound heard by Jim as he drives through an intersection where an ambulance is at rest. The angle between their positions is given as 59.0 °. The answer to the question is 0.229 kHz. The speaker also mentions putting the wrong title for the thread and apologizes for it.
mexqwerty
I've been trying to do the following question but I can't get the right answer. Also, I put in the wrong thread title but I don't know how to change it (sorry).

An ambulance is at rest in a traffic jam in front of an intersection. At that moment, Jim is driving his car at 88.0 km/h through the intersection as shown in the diagram below. In the diagram, the angle θ = 59.0 °.

What is the doppler shift (Δf = f′–f) heard in the siren sound by Jim, when Jim and the ambulance are positioned as shown on the diagram above? The answer is 0.229 kHZ.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I got the answer. I was just calculating the wrong vector component. Thanks for looking, anyway.

Last edited:

FAQ: Representation of the wave crests

1. What is the representation of wave crests?

The representation of wave crests refers to how the peaks of a wave are visually displayed or depicted in a scientific or mathematical model. It is the way in which we illustrate the highest point of a wave.

2. How are wave crests represented in a graph?

In a graph, wave crests are typically represented by the highest points on the curve. These points are marked as peaks on the graph and can be connected by a line to show the shape and direction of the wave.

3. What is the significance of representing wave crests?

Representing wave crests allows us to visually understand and analyze the characteristics of a wave, such as its amplitude, wavelength, and frequency. It is an important aspect of studying and predicting the behavior of waves.

4. Are there different ways to represent wave crests?

Yes, there are different ways to represent wave crests depending on the type of wave and the scientific or mathematical model being used. Some common representations include sine or cosine functions, diagrams, and graphs.

5. How does the representation of wave crests affect the accuracy of a wave model?

The representation of wave crests can significantly impact the accuracy of a wave model. If the crests are not properly represented, the resulting model may not accurately reflect the behavior of the actual wave. It is important to use accurate and consistent representations in order to obtain reliable results.

Back