Request help tuning new Windows 11 laptop for PF features

Klystron
Gold Member
Finally replaced my Windows 8 laptop with a new Framework 16 running latest Windows version 11. Online performance has greatly improved but a few PF features have changed or disappeared even after reading Microsoft pubs and online help.
  • Spell check. Inline and document spell check gone.
Google Chrome browser offers a rather obtrusive word correction as I type but the useful illuminated mispelled words and list of corrections is missing. Now I wonder if the spell checker was a PF feature or inherent in Windows 8. I'll try different browsers.

Microsoft Edge underlines misspelled words in red and offers a vertical menu with suggestions (dark backgound color). The obscuring horizontal list in black font on white background still appears, partially obscuring the alternates list. Beginning to think this horizontal list is type-ahead word suggestions irrespective of spelling?

Physics news on Phys.org
Klystron said:
Now I wonder if the spell checker was a PF feature or inherent in Windows 8.
I don't think it would be either of those; I suspect it would be a feature of the (version of the) browser you were using.

Likes Vanadium 50
DrGreg said:
I don't think it would be either of those; I suspect it would be a feature of the (version of the) browser you were using.
Thanks @DrGreg. I traced one spell checker to Google parameters, not just using Google Chrome browser, but logging into Google to begin a laptop session. Using Microsoft Edge browser has the same lack of spell check.

I misstated "PF spell checker" as submitting a reply to New York Times or comment to Washington Post displays the same lack of inline spell check.

Guess I need to adjust some user-level parameters at or above the OS (Windows 11) that applies to entering text in any browser or screen. I need misspelled words highlighted with the ability to select a corrected spelling.

A separate but related problem to typing and spelling errors appears related to the sensitivity of the touchpad pointing device. I tend to inadvertantly drag the pointer across the browser with unintended results. The Framework 16 lacks a touchscreen but the built-in keyboard, and my auxiliary wireless keyboard, have very sensitive touchpads.

What are best procedures under Windows 11 for
1) activating inline automatic spell check,
2) compensating touchpad motions for severe arthritis? Thanks.

Thanks for the response @pbuk

Testing misspelled words while typing a reply. Works well as long as I use Microsoft Edge as browser. This makes sense after committing to Microsoft OS. I can always try UNIX flavor once Windows works properly.

The touch pad operates as an inverted two-button mouse with multi-finger slides and finger taps adding another dimension. I need to tweak sensitivity of several touch parameters plus adjust some delay times to compensate for spasms.

Edge a bit of a resource hog compared to other browsers, but Framework laptop built for speed once I get it tuned with best modules for my requirements.