Requirement for Goldstein level Classic mechanics

In summary, the author studied Goldstein Classic mechanics and found it too difficult. He decided to continue studying despite this and found difficulty with Chap. 7. He recommends that someone who wants to work through the details of General Relativity should have some grounding in tensor analysis and Linear Algebra. He also recommends a secondary source, Marion, which he read all the way through in a seminar course as a first year graduate engineering student.
RIgel
GreetingsTo be straight, I've been studying Goldstein Classic mechanics.While studying, it turned out that this is not a book for my level,(knew it would be challenging, but even far beyond)but even after finding out that something is wrong, i kept studying this book, by doing some research or repeating the hard part endlessly.Except for few things on chapter 5 and 6, I managed to read and understand to the level that i won't give up (could be poor understanding though)But the reason why I'm asking this requirement stuff now is because I can't read further...I got stuck in chap. 7: relativity...Descriptions started to skip things quiet a lot than usual, and my understanding seems to be especially weak at this topic's skipping. ( apparently not prepared)After being stopped, i kinda regret reading this book this far...but still can't give up that easilySo anyway, what i want to ask is,

1. Is there any specific topic on mathematics that would help me study relativity on Goldstein? (I studied bit of linear algebra before studying chap. 4,5,6 and it had been very helpful)2. If you have a experience of goldstein Classic mechanics, do you have any branch of mathematics in mind, that would be necessary for reading goldstein?3. Do you have any suggestion for math book? (linear algebra? advanced calculus?)4. Should I just skip chap. 7? Do you think it is a good idea? ( actually is it classic?)5. Should I stop reading this book?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a great book for graduate level classical mechanics and if you can make it through you will be well on your way to mastering physics.

For general relativity, you need some grounding in tensor analysis which basically extends what you know in vector analysis into spacetime geometry.

You could probably pick that up with a Schaums Outline on Tensor Analysis.

In my undergrad days, we admired those who could work through Goldstein but our primary book was Marion. Maybe Marion would be a good secondary source.

Likes PhotonSSBM
I read Goldstein all the way through in a seminar course as a first year graduate engineering student. I don't recall any special difficulty, but I do recall many long hours spent working through the details to derive every equation. The two mathematical topics that I think would be most important would be (1) linear algebra and (2) calculus of variations.

It is really a great book, and I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to really dig into mechanics.

Likes jedishrfu

Related to Requirement for Goldstein level Classic mechanics

1. What is Goldstein level Classic mechanics?

Goldstein level Classic mechanics is a branch of classical mechanics that focuses on advanced concepts and mathematical techniques, such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms, for studying the motion of particles and rigid bodies in three dimensions.

2. Why is Goldstein level Classic mechanics important?

Goldstein level Classic mechanics is important because it provides a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of classical mechanics, allowing for more complex and realistic systems to be studied. It also serves as a foundation for many other branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

3. What are the prerequisites for studying Goldstein level Classic mechanics?

The prerequisites for studying Goldstein level Classic mechanics include a strong background in calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics at an introductory level. A good understanding of differential equations and vector calculus is also beneficial.

4. How is Goldstein level Classic mechanics different from introductory classical mechanics?

Goldstein level Classic mechanics differs from introductory classical mechanics in its use of more advanced mathematical techniques, such as generalized coordinates and variational principles, to solve problems. It also considers more complex systems, such as non-inertial frames of reference and rigid bodies, that are not typically covered in introductory courses.

5. What are some real-world applications of Goldstein level Classic mechanics?

Goldstein level Classic mechanics has many applications in various fields, such as aerospace engineering, robotics, and astrophysics. It is used to study the motion of satellites and spacecraft, design control systems for robots, and understand the dynamics of celestial bodies in the universe.