Research -- "Ziemlich Frech : Einstein versus Nernst"

In summary, the conversation is about an essay on the topic of "Ziemlich Frech: Einstein versus Nernst". The individual is having difficulty finding information on the topic, despite searching the library and internet. They have found some information suggesting it could be related to Einstein Solids or the Nernst-Einstein relation, but are unsure and struggling to find a definitive answer. They mention translations for "Ziemlich Frech" that do not seem related to thermodynamics, which is the topic they believe it should be related to. They ask for help in finding a copy of Abraham Pais' book "Subtle is the lord" for more information on Einstein's life and work.
bradx888
I am writing an essay on "Ziemlich Frech : Einstein versus Nernst".
I can find very little information on this topic anywhere. I've searched the library and the internet and don't have anything certain yet.
So far I'm at a stage where I believe it could be about Einstein Solids. I know that Nernst was very interested on Einstein's paper on specific heat capacity.
Also I realize it could be something to do with the Nernst-Einstein relation to do with diffusivity. I'm really struggling to find something that makes me certain of what it is. Especially when I am getting different translations for "Ziemlich Frech", none of which seem related to Thermodynamics which I feel is what it should be related to.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the library find you a copy of Abraham Pais: Subtle is the lord. The science and the life of Albert Einstein. Oxford University Press.

Likes bradx888

Related to Research -- "Ziemlich Frech : Einstein versus Nernst"

1. How did Einstein and Nernst's research differ?

Einstein and Nernst were both pioneering scientists in the early 20th century, but their research areas were quite different. Einstein focused on theoretical physics and revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and the nature of gravity. Nernst, on the other hand, focused on physical chemistry and made important contributions to the laws of thermodynamics.

2. What were some key disagreements between Einstein and Nernst?

Despite their different research areas, Einstein and Nernst had several disagreements. One major point of contention was Einstein's theory of relativity, which Nernst initially criticized but later accepted after further evidence emerged. They also had differing views on the role of intuition and experimentation in scientific research.

3. How did Einstein and Nernst's research impact the scientific community?

Einstein and Nernst's research had a significant impact on the scientific community during their time and continues to be influential today. Einstein's theories of relativity and quantum mechanics revolutionized the field of physics, while Nernst's work in thermodynamics laid the foundation for modern chemistry and materials science.

4. Did Einstein and Nernst ever collaborate on research?

No, Einstein and Nernst did not collaborate on research. They had very different research interests and approaches, and their disagreements made it unlikely that they would work together. However, they did have a respectful relationship and corresponded with each other on occasion.

5. How does the rivalry between Einstein and Nernst impact the way we view scientific progress?

The rivalry between Einstein and Nernst serves as a reminder that scientific progress is often driven by healthy debate and disagreement. While they may have had differing views and approaches, both scientists made important contributions to their respective fields and pushed the boundaries of our understanding of the universe.