: Researchin the forces in rasing and lowering a boom

• Thread starter unique_pavadrin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment using a boom and string to represent a crane. The tension in the tie decreases as the boom is raised due to an increase in perpendicular force and moment arm length. The maximum horizontal reaction at the pivot occurs at an angle of 90 degrees due to the tie being furthest from the pivot. The angle that produces a resultant horizontal reaction force is around 70 degrees, and this angle will change if a larger load is placed on the boom. The tension in the tie does not change uniformly with the angle of the boom due to changes in vertical distance. The tension in the tie at a boom angle of 90 degrees is 13.9N, and the reaction force on the pivot is 21
unique_pavadrin
URGENT: Researchin the forces in rasing and lowering a boom

Homework Statement

In an experiment a group of students used a boom, and some string to represent a tie as in a crane. The figure shows how the apparatus was set up.

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/2508/calcepwpart2jd9.jpg

Boom and other variables
Length to load (L) 0.97m
Centre of mass boom: 0.5m
Distance to tie (d): 0.6m
Load: 0.45kg
Mass of boom: 0.35kg
Height of tie above pivot (h): 0.62cmAcceleration due to gravity: 9.8m/s/s
2. The attempt at a solution
Following are the questions/calculations asked for the experiment and the answers which i think are correct.

Graphs for reference to questions 2 and 3:
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/1833/calcepwpart2001gm8.jpg

____________________________​

1. What happens to the tension in the tie as the boom is raised? Give an explanation for this in terms of moment arm lengths.

As the boom is raised the tension in the wire decreases. As the boom is lowered the perpendicular force exerted by the end mass will increase. As moment is dependent upon the perpendicular force and the distance from the pivot point, and increase in the perpendicular force, and a constant distance from the pivot, the moment or torque will increase. The increase in torque will place the tie under greater stress, thus resulting in the tie having a greater tension as the boom is lowered, or the angle (measured from the vertical to the boom) increases.

2. From the graphs find the angle of the boom that produces the maximum horizontal reaction at the pivot. Explain why the maximum will always be at this angle in a boom supported this way.

The maximum horizontal reaction at the pivot is at an angle of 90 degrees. The maximum will always be at this angle in a boom supported this way because the tie holding up the boom is at the furtherest possible from the pivot. therefore resulting in the greatest horizontal reaction force.

3. From the graph of the pivot reaction determine the boom angle that produces a resultant reaction force horizontally. How will this angle change if a larger load is placed on the boom? Give an explanation for your answer

This question I am not sure on how to solve, or the theory behind it. Any help/hints greatly appreciated.

4. Suggest a reason why the tension in the tie does not change uniformly with the angle of the boom.

This question I am not sure on how to answer it because I am not too sure how this system works in this situation. The vertical distance changes gradually at the beginning and the end of the system, while around the 80-100 degree mark the component changes at a more rapid rate, even though the increments of the angle remain the same, but I do not know why this happens

5. For a boom angle of 90 degrees calculate the tension in the tie. Use values you obtained in the table above (results shown listed below the image of the apparatus).

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\sum {\tau _{anticlockwise} } = \sum {\tau _{clockwise} } \\
0.5\left( {0.35} \right)\left( {9.8} \right) + 0.97\left( {0.45} \right)\left( {9.8} \right) = 0.6\left( F \right) \\
F = 9.9878 = T_{vertical} \\
\theta = \tan ^{ - 1} \frac{{0.6}}{{0.62}} = 44.06 \\
T = \frac{{T_{vertical} }}{{\cos \theta }} = 13.8989 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Therefore for a boom of angle 90 degrees and with the values obtained in the table above, the tension in the tie is 13.9N

6. For the boom angle of 90 degrees calculate from the magnitude and direction of the reaction at the pivot. Use the values you obtained in the table above.

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\sum {F = 0} \\
= {\rm{Tesion in the tie + weight force + reaction force of the pivot}} \\
13.8989 + 0.35\left( {9.8} \right) + 0.45\left( {9.8} \right) = R_{pivot} = 21.7389 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

vertical components:
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\sum {F \uparrow = } \sum {F \downarrow } \\
9.9878 + 0.35\left( {9.8} \right) + 0.45\left( {9.8} \right) = R_{pivot\left( {vertical} \right)} = 17.8278 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

horizontal components:
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\sum {F \leftarrow = } \sum {F \to } \\
\sin \theta = \frac{O}{H} \\
O = T\sin \theta = R_{pivot\left( {horizontal} \right)} = 9.6656 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

angle of reaction force:
[tex]
\theta = \tan ^{ - 1} \frac{{17.8278}}{{9.6656}} = 61.535
[/tex]

therefore reaction force on the pivot (magnitude) = 21.7389N
therefore reaction force on the pivot (direction) = 61.535 degrees

They are the question which were given to me and the answers to most of them. I am unsure about my logics which are behind my questions, so if i have done anything wrong, please point it out. Basically for all the questions which i have answered, I'm asking if I have done them correctly. Questions 3 and 4 I have no idea how to solve. All help, suggestions, hints given will be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you for all the replies
unique_pavadrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"3. From the graph of the pivot reaction determine the boom angle that produces a resultant reaction force horizontally. How will this angle change if a larger load is placed on the boom? Give an explanation for your answer."

The boom angle that will produce a resultant reaction force horizontally is around 70 degrees, as it is the point on the first graph where the vertical reaction force decreases to 0. This angle will change as when a larger load is placed on the boom, the boom will have to be raised for it to be able to stay in the same position but to be able to withstand the extra weight foce, since the boom is moved up the angle will increase.

Sorry for my bad physics terminoligy, but i only just got the answer, with the help of clint.
Cam

Last edited:
I am still unsure about the questions. Could somebody please help me, i am very confused.

Can Somebody Please Help Me?

In order for me to get some help on this once great forums, what must i do?? Can I please! get some help?

This is a very involved problem, and it is a lot of work for someone to go through and work out every one of your questions. If you specifically went into one of the questions you are having the most problems with, I think you might get some more responses.

Also part 3a, was answered some time ago, just find the zero crossing for the vertical rxn force. You have a complete set of eqns with the exception of one linking the two angles.

Related to : Researchin the forces in rasing and lowering a boom

1. What are the main forces involved in raising and lowering a boom?

The main forces involved in raising and lowering a boom are tension, compression, and gravity. Tension is the force that pulls the boom up, while compression is the force that pushes the boom down. Gravity also plays a role in both raising and lowering the boom.

2. How does the length of the boom affect the forces involved?

The longer the boom, the more tension and compression forces are exerted on it. This is because the longer the boom, the more weight it has to support, resulting in increased forces acting on it.

3. What role do pulleys play in raising and lowering a boom?

Pulleys are used to redirect the force of tension in a more efficient direction. By using multiple pulleys, the force required to raise or lower the boom can be reduced, making the process easier and more efficient.

4. How does the angle of the boom affect the forces involved?

The angle of the boom affects the distribution of the forces acting on it. As the angle increases, more of the weight of the boom is carried by the tension force, while less is carried by the compression force. This can impact the stability and overall strength of the boom.

5. What are some factors that can affect the forces involved in raising and lowering a boom?

The weight and length of the boom, the angle at which it is being raised or lowered, and the efficiency of the pulley system are all factors that can affect the forces involved in raising and lowering a boom. Environmental factors such as wind and water currents can also impact the forces acting on the boom.

Back