Resetting Subsection Numbering with LeTeX \renewcommand

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter mathfeel
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about resetting subsection numbering in LaTeX and a suggestion to use \setcounter instead of \renewcommand for this purpose. The person also suggests seeking help on a LaTeX thread for further assistance.
mathfeel
This is probably not the best place to ask this, then I think there are ppl that knows here...

I want to reset the subsection numbering so that instead of:

It goes like

so I did
\renewcommand{\subsection}{\arabic{subsection}}

Which, works, but it also destroy all font setting (bold, etc) of the \subsection command...

How do ppl do renewcommand with subsection?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I don't know how to answer that. But, I suggest you try the [tex] \LaTeX [/tex] thread at www.artofproblemsolving.com

Good luck!

Hi there,

I'm not an expert in LaTeX, but have you tried using the \setcounter command instead of \renewcommand? From my understanding, \renewcommand is used to change the definition of a command, while \setcounter is used to set the value of a counter, which is what you're trying to do with the subsection numbering.

So you could try something like \setcounter{subsection}{1} to start the subsection numbering at 1 instead of 0. Let me know if that works for you or if you need any further assistance. Good luck!

Related to Resetting Subsection Numbering with LeTeX \renewcommand

1. How do I reset subsection numbering in LaTeX using \renewcommand?

To reset subsection numbering in LaTeX, you can use the \renewcommand{\thesubsection}{\arabic{subsection}} command. This will reset the subsection numbering to start from 1, regardless of the section it is in.

2. Can I reset subsection numbering to be alphabetical instead of numerical?

Yes, you can reset subsection numbering to be alphabetical by using \renewcommand{\thesubsection}{\alph{subsection}} instead. This will number the subsections as a, b, c, etc.

3. How can I reset subsection numbering to continue from the previous section?

To continue subsection numbering from the previous section, you can use the \renewcommand{\thesubsection}{\thesection.\arabic{subsection}} command. This will number the subsections as 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, etc.

4. Can I reset subsection numbering for a specific section in my document?

Yes, you can reset subsection numbering for a specific section by using the \setcounter{subsection}{0} command before the section. This will reset the subsection numbering only for that specific section.

5. Is it possible to reset subsection numbering multiple times in a document?

Yes, you can reset subsection numbering multiple times in a document by using the \renewcommand{\thesubsection}{\arabic{subsection}} command at any point in the document. This will reset the subsection numbering from that point onwards.