Residue Theorem: Finding Residue at ##|z|=2##

In summary, the conversation is about finding the residue of a given integral and the discrepancy between the book's answer and the OP's answer. The correct answer is found to be ##\pi i##, and it is determined that there was a mistake in the calculation of the residue due to a missing factor of half.
kq6up

Homework Statement

Find the residue of ##\oint { \frac { sinz }{ 2z-\pi } } dz## where ##\left| z \right| =2##[/B]

Homework Equations

##f\left( z_{ o } \right) =\frac { 1 }{ 2\pi i } \oint { \frac { f\left( w \right) }{ w-z_{ o } } } dw##

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to me that the answer is ##2\pi i##, but the book gives ##\pi i##.

Not sure what I did wrong, I am pretty confident in my answer.

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
For your integral, [itex] f(z_0)=\frac 1 2 \sin \frac \pi 2 [/itex] and [itex]z-z_0=z-\frac \pi 2 [/itex].

Likes kq6up
I got [itex]\pi i[/itex] as well. You probably forgot a factor of half when calculating the residue.

Likes kq6up
Where does the 1/2 factor come from?

Thanks,
Chris

Never mind, I see that it the bottom needs to have a two factored out to fit the form.

Thanks,
Chris

Related to Residue Theorem: Finding Residue at ##|z|=2##

1. What is the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem is a mathematical concept in complex analysis that allows for the calculation of contour integrals, specifically around singular points, by using the residues of a function. It is an important tool in solving integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve.

2. How do you find the residue at a given point?

To find the residue, you first need to determine the Laurent series expansion of the given function. Then, the residue is the coefficient of the term with a power of -1 in the expansion. In other words, it is the coefficient of the term with the highest negative power.

3. What is the significance of finding the residue at a point?

Finding the residue at a point allows for the evaluation of contour integrals around that point. This is useful in solving a variety of mathematical problems, including those in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

4. Can the Residue Theorem be applied to any function?

No, the Residue Theorem can only be applied to functions that are analytic within a closed contour and have isolated singularities within the contour. Functions with essential singularities, such as ##\sin\frac{1}{z}##, cannot be evaluated using the Residue Theorem.

5. How is the Residue Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Residue Theorem has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is used to solve problems involving integrals, such as calculating the electric field around a charged conductor or determining the response of a system to a given input signal.