Resistance and Ohm's Law Problem

In summary, the resistance between the opposite faces of a cube of silver is 777 n\Omega, and the average drift speed of electrons when a potential difference of 1.00 x 10^-5 V is applied is 3.28 \mum/SHi clairez93.
clairez93

Homework Statement

A solid cube of silver (density = 10.5 g/cm^3) has a mass of 90.0 g. (a) What is the resistance between the opposite faces of the cube? (b) If there is one conduction electron for each silver atom, what is the average drift speed of electrons when a potential difference of 1.00 x 10^-5 V is applied to opposite faces? (The atomic number of silver is 47, and its molar mass is 107.87 g/mol)

Homework Equations

(listing all the equations given in the section this problem is relevant to)

J = [tex]\sigma[/tex]E
J = nqv[tex]_{d}[/tex]
R = [tex]\ell[/tex] / [tex]\sigma[/tex]A = [tex]\Delta[/tex]V / I
[tex]\rho[/tex] = 1 / [tex]\sigma[/tex]
R = [tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\ell[/tex] / A

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely clueless, at how to start. I think I'll have to use one of the R formulas somehow, but there seems to be too many unknown variables if I try to use any of those. Could someone help me get started?

The book's answer is (a) 777 n[tex]\Omega[/tex] (b) 3.28 [tex]\mu[/tex]m/S

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi clairez93,

About there seeming to be too many unknowns, I would guess that they want you to look up the resistivity of silver; you should have a table of those values in your book. Once you have that, the other values in the problem will be all you need to work with.

I am thinking this is the one I will need to use. For [tex]\rho[/tex] I think I will need to look up resistivity. For ell and A, I will need to use the density and mass to get a volume number, I believe, correct?

I'm not sure how to figure out prat b for a drift speed though. I don't see a formula in the section the problem is supposed to belong to for a drift speed. Is there a certain formula I should be using?

clairez93 said:
I am thinking this is the one I will need to use. For [tex]\rho[/tex] I think I will need to look up resistivity. For ell and A, I will need to use the density and mass to get a volume number, I believe, correct?

That's sounds right.

I'm not sure how to figure out prat b for a drift speed though. I don't see a formula in the section the problem is supposed to belong to for a drift speed. Is there a certain formula I should be using?

One of the formulas you listed in the relevant equations has the drift speed in it. There is a very similar formula that has the current instead of the current density that might be a bit more straightforward.

Part A:

R = [tex]\rho[/tex]r / A

Part B:

J = I / A = nq[tex]v_{d}[/tex]

Hope this is still useful.

FAQ: Resistance and Ohm's Law Problem

1. What is resistance and how is it measured?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component impedes the flow of electric current. It is measured in units called ohms (Ω) and can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I).

2. How does resistance affect the flow of current?

Resistance is directly proportional to the flow of current, meaning that as resistance increases, current decreases. This is because higher resistance requires more energy to push the same amount of current through a circuit.

3. What is Ohm's Law and how is it used to solve problems?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law of electricity that relates voltage, current, and resistance. It states that the voltage across a conductor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it, with resistance being the constant factor. It can be used to solve problems involving any of these three variables, given the values of the other two.

4. How do resistors affect circuits and why are they important?

Resistors are electronic components designed to provide a specific amount of resistance in a circuit. They are important because they help control the flow of current and voltage, preventing damage to other components. They are also used to reduce the amount of current in a circuit, which can be useful in controlling the brightness of LEDs or the volume of speakers.

5. Can Ohm's Law be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, Ohm's Law can be applied to all types of circuits, including series, parallel, and complex circuits. However, it is important to note that Ohm's Law assumes that the circuit is made up of only resistive elements and does not take into account other factors such as capacitance and inductance.