Resistance and Temperature(isn't this right?)

• Thread starter Tekmachine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the platinum resistance thermometer has a resistance of 200 at 0◦C and 280 at the melting point of the substance. By using the formula R = r [1 + a(T - t)], where R is the resistance at the melting point, r is the initial resistance, a is the temperature coefficient, T is the melting point, and t is the initial temperature, we can calculate the melting point of the substance to be 102.04◦C. This is in agreement with online calculators, but it is possible that there is an error in the significant figures given for the problem.
Tekmachine

Homework Statement

A platinum resistance thermometer has a resistance of 200 when placed in a ice 0◦C
bath and 280 when immersed in a crucible containing a melting substance. What is
the melting point of the substance? The temperature coefficient of the platinum is
0.00392(◦C)−1. Answer in units of ◦C.

Homework Equations

R = r [1 + a(T - t)]

The Attempt at a Solution

This looks like such a simple problem, just plug and chug, but I keep getting the wrong answer.

280 = 200 [1 + 0.00392(T - 0)]
1.4 = 1 + 0.00392T
0.4 = 0.00392T
T = 102.04

Physics news on Phys.org
Tekmachine said:

Homework Statement

A platinum resistance thermometer has a resistance of 200 when placed in a ice 0◦C
bath and 280 when immersed in a crucible containing a melting substance. What is
the melting point of the substance? The temperature coefficient of the platinum is
0.00392(◦C)−1. Answer in units of ◦C.

Homework Equations

R = r [1 + a(T - t)]

The Attempt at a Solution

This looks like such a simple problem, just plug and chug, but I keep getting the wrong answer.

280 = 200 [1 + 0.00392(T - 0)]
1.4 = 1 + 0.00392T
0.4 = 0.00392T
T = 102.04

The online calculator would seem to agree with your answer:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/restmp.html#c3

LowlyPion said:
The online calculator would seem to agree with your answer:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/restmp.html#c3
That's the calculator I used ^ ^, hmmmm is there something I'm forgetting to take into account? Maybe some sort of trick to the problem?

Tekmachine said:
That's the calculator I used ^ ^, hmmmm is there something I'm forgetting to take into account? Maybe some sort of trick to the problem?

Perhaps the significant figures is in error? They would want only 102 C?

FAQ: Resistance and Temperature(isn't this right?)

1. What is the relationship between resistance and temperature?

The relationship between resistance and temperature is that as temperature increases, the resistance of a material also increases. This is because an increase in temperature causes atoms and electrons to vibrate more, leading to a higher chance of collisions and therefore a higher resistance.

2. Why does resistance increase with temperature?

Resistance increases with temperature because as temperature increases, the atoms in the material vibrate more and this disrupts the flow of electrons, making it more difficult for electricity to pass through.

3. How does temperature affect the resistance of a conductor?

Temperature affects the resistance of a conductor by increasing it. As temperature increases, the resistance of the conductor also increases, making it more difficult for electricity to flow through.

4. Does resistance always increase with temperature?

No, resistance does not always increase with temperature. In some materials, such as semiconductors, the resistance may decrease with increasing temperature due to the movement of electrons in the material. This is known as a negative temperature coefficient of resistance.

5. How is temperature coefficient of resistance calculated?

The temperature coefficient of resistance is calculated by dividing the change in resistance by the change in temperature. It is measured in units of ohms per degree Celsius (Ω/°C) or ohms per degree Kelvin (Ω/K).