Resistance-current characteristic

In summary, the conversation revolved around an investigation on the resistance-current characteristic, specifically measuring current at different potential differences. The use of various equipment such as an ammeter, voltmeter, filament lamp, wires, and clips was mentioned. The question being raised was about potential errors and how to improve the measurements. The main concern was uncertainties in either the ammeter or resistance for voltage measurement, or in the voltmeter or resistance for current measurement. The conversation ended with the acknowledgement that without being present during the experiment, it is difficult to determine the potential sources of errors.
eida
<< Deletion by Moderator >>

My question concerns resistance-current characteristic.

The investigation was aimed at measuring current at different potential differences, before the filament lamp started to shine and when it was shining so as to observe both ohmic and non-ohmic behaviour. Also after calculating the resistance, the characterisitc
between it and current was to be analyzed.
Anyway, the ammeter, voltmeter, filament lamp, wires and clips were used.

Hence, my question is arising, do you have any ideas (except internal resistances), what could cause occurring of some errors (systematic or random) and how it could be improved ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you go by V=IR then you could have uncertainties in the ammeter or in the resistance for the measurement of voltage. Or say you had I=V/R then you could have uncertainties in the voltmeter or resistance for that measurement. As you said, maybe it is really V=I(R1+R2). That's the whole name of the game, how could your measurement be wrong under different scenarios. It's hard for me to really know what to tell you because I wasn't there using the equipment.

Related to Resistance-current characteristic

1. What is a resistance-current characteristic?

A resistance-current characteristic is a graph or curve that shows the relationship between the electrical resistance of a material and the amount of current flowing through it. It is used to determine how a material responds to an applied electrical current.

2. How is a resistance-current characteristic measured?

A resistance-current characteristic is typically measured by applying a known voltage to a material and measuring the resulting current. This process is repeated at different voltage levels to generate a series of data points, which can then be plotted on a graph to create the characteristic curve.

3. What factors can affect a material's resistance-current characteristic?

The resistance-current characteristic of a material can be affected by several factors, including the material's conductivity, temperature, and physical properties such as thickness and shape. Additionally, the type of current (AC or DC) and the frequency can also impact the characteristic curve.

4. How can the resistance-current characteristic be used in practical applications?

The resistance-current characteristic is an important tool in understanding the behavior of materials in electrical circuits. It can be used to select appropriate materials for specific applications, troubleshoot circuit issues, and design circuits with desired resistance values.

5. Can a resistance-current characteristic change over time?

Yes, a material's resistance-current characteristic can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, temperature changes, and exposure to environmental factors. This is why it is important to regularly test and monitor the characteristic curves of materials in electrical circuits.