Resistance In Series/Parallel circuits

In summary, the conversation is about finding the total resistance of a circuit. The approach suggested is to simplify the circuit by collapsing combinations in stages, starting with the simplest ones. This involves combining resistors that are in series and using the parallel resistance rule for resistors that are joined at both ends. The conversation ends with the suggestion to combine R2 and R3, R5 and R6, and R7 and R8, and then repeating the process if necessary.
Mark Rice

Homework Statement

Hi, I need to find the total resistance of a circuit (attached file). I'm pretty sure it's really and straight forward but I'm a chemical engineer and this is coursework so just wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I just simplify by adding the following to each other in series to give three resistor value (R2+R3) (R4+R5+R6) (R7+R8) then work it out using these in the parallel question? ie Rcircuit= R1 + R9 + [(1/Rtotal)=1/(R2+R3) + 1/(R4+R5+R6)] + 1/(R7+R8)]I totally appreciate they way I have just typed this was not very clear so I'm happy to explain myself more!

*Edited*

Attachments

• Resistor.png
    Resistor.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
Mark Rice said:
Do I just simplify by adding the following to each other in series to give three resistor value (R2+R3) (R4+R5+R6) (R7+R8)
That cannot be right because R4 is not parallel to R7 and R8. But you have the right approach - collapse combinations in stages, starting with the simplest ones.

haruspex said:
That cannot be right because R4 is not parallel to R7 and R8. But you have the right approach - collapse combinations in stages, starting with the simplest ones.

So do I add R1 + R4 + R9 in series. Then do the parallel calculation [(1/Rtotal)=1/(R2+R3) + 1/(R5+R6)] + 1/(R7+R8)]? Sorry not done physics in 3 years so I'm a bit rusty!

Mark Rice said:
So do I add R1 + R4 + R9 in series. Then do the parallel calculation [(1/Rtotal)=1/(R2+R3) + 1/(R5+R6)] + 1/(R7+R8)]? Sorry not done physics in 3 years so I'm a bit rusty!

Is this what I do anyone?

Mark Rice said:
So do I add R1 + R4 + R9 in series.
Not R4. There's a connection with other resistors in between R1 and R4.
In general, you look for:
- two resistors in sequence with no other connection between them; if found, combine them, adding resistances
- two resistors joined to each other at both ends; if found, combine them using the parallel resistance rule
- repeat as necessary
Yes, you can combine 2 with 3, 5 with 6, and 7 with 8. What next?

Related to Resistance In Series/Parallel circuits

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

Series circuits have only one path for current to flow, while parallel circuits have multiple paths.

How are resistors connected in series?

In a series circuit, resistors are connected end to end, with the current passing through each resistor in order.

What is the total resistance in a series circuit?

The total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of individual resistances.

How are resistors connected in parallel?

In a parallel circuit, resistors are connected side by side, with each resistor having its own path for current to flow.

What is the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

The total resistance in a parallel circuit is less than the resistance of any individual resistor, and is calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn.