Resistive Wire Selection For Linear Potentiometer

In summary, the person is seeking help in building a ball and beam balance control system using a metallic ball and two wires to create a linear potentiometer for the ball's position. They are unsure of what resistive wire to use and are looking for suggestions for a position sensor. A possible solution could be using graphite rods or infrared distance sensors. The Sharp GP2D12 infrared distance sensors are suggested as they are inexpensive and have a narrow infrared beam that minimizes interference. It is noted to check the minimum range for the sensors as the beam is only 8 inches.
jcarsw04
I'm trying to build a ball and beam balance control system. I was thinking of using a metallic ball and two wires to make a linear potentiometer to give the ball's position. I'm not sure what to use as the resistive wire. Most wire I find doesn't seem to provide a sizable amount of resistance. I know I can amplify the output but I also want my system to be less susceptible to noise and accurate. I would also be open to other suggestions as to what I can use as a position sensor for the ball on the beam. Could someone post a link to some good material to use for the resistive wire? The length of the beam is only 8 inches and the ball has a 5/16" diameter. Thank you for any help.

REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_and_beam

Physics news on Phys.org
jcarsw04 said:
I'm trying to build a ball and beam balance control system. I was thinking of using a metallic ball and two wires to make a linear potentiometer to give the ball's position. I'm not sure what to use as the resistive wire. Most wire I find doesn't seem to provide a sizable amount of resistance. I know I can amplify the output but I also want my system to be less susceptible to noise and accurate. I would also be open to other suggestions as to what I can use as a position sensor for the ball on the beam. Could someone post a link to some good material to use for the resistive wire? The length of the beam is only 8 inches and the ball has a 5/16" diameter. Thank you for any help.

REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_and_beam

Maybe look into graphite rods (pencil leads).

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/graphite.htm

http://www.asee.org/documents/zones/zone1/2008/professional/ASEE12008_0012_paper.pdf

...the sensing of the ball position is by using two infrared
distance sensors. There is no tear and wear by the motion of the ball.

The Sharp GP2D12 infrared distance sensors[4] were chosen for the project because they were inexpensive and sensitive enough for registering the location of the ball on the beam. Also the infrared beam is narrowly confined that adjacent objects does not easily interfere with the detection of the ball position.

but check the minimium range for this sensor as your beam is shorter.

FAQ: Resistive Wire Selection For Linear Potentiometer

1. What is a linear potentiometer?

A linear potentiometer is an electronic component that has a resistive track and a sliding contact, which allows for variable resistance. It is typically used to measure linear displacement or position.

2. How do I select the appropriate resistive wire for a linear potentiometer?

The resistive wire selection for a linear potentiometer depends on several factors, including the desired resistance range, maximum power rating, and environmental conditions. It is important to choose a wire material that is stable and has a low temperature coefficient of resistance to ensure accurate measurements.

3. What are the common types of resistive wires used in linear potentiometers?

Some of the commonly used resistive wires in linear potentiometers are carbon, conductive plastic, and wirewound. Carbon resistive wires are the most cost-effective and have a wide resistance range, while conductive plastic wires offer better linearity and stability. Wirewound resistive wires are highly precise but are more expensive.

4. How does the length and thickness of the resistive wire affect the performance of a linear potentiometer?

The length and thickness of the resistive wire impact the resistance range and power rating of a linear potentiometer. A longer wire will result in a larger resistance range, while a thicker wire can handle higher power ratings. However, a thicker wire may also increase the self-heating effect, which can affect the accuracy of the potentiometer.

5. Can I customize the resistive wire for a linear potentiometer?

Yes, it is possible to customize the resistive wire for a linear potentiometer to meet specific requirements. This can include using a different material, altering the wire length or thickness, or adding insulation or protective coatings for harsh environments. Customized wires may require additional testing and calibration to ensure accurate performance.