Resistor Color Code

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2023 Award
In the Dark Ages, resistor values were indicated by colored bans, and we all had to memorize the code. (This was back when they were bigger than a speck of dust)

My question is - why colored bands? Caps have numbers printed on them (as do some resistors). Why fool with bands if you can just print the value?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
In the Dark Ages, resistor values were indicated by colored bans, and we all had to memorize the code. (This was back when they were bigger than a speck of dust)
Ah, yes. Bad boys ravage our young girls but violet gives willingly, except we didn't say ravage.
Vanadium 50 said:
My question is - why colored bands? Caps have numbers printed on them (as do some resistors). Why fool with bands if you can just print the value?
Well, the small ones (quarter Watt) WERE pretty small even back then. Maybe printer technology wasn't up to it at the time, given that it was a small cylindrical shape. Bands were easy to apply, I assume. Still, good question.

Likes DaveE
The source that is not to be used says

The use of color bands on resistors dates back to the mid-20th century and was primarily for practical reasons:
  1. Space Constraints: Early resistors were often small, and there wasn't enough surface area to print values clearly. Color bands are compact and convey a lot of information without requiring much space.
  2. Durability: Printed values can wear off over time due to heat or environmental factors. Color bands, being part of the coating or the material itself, tend to be more durable and resistant to fading.
  3. Standardization: The color code system became a standardized method across the industry, making it easier for engineers and technicians to quickly identify resistor values without needing to read fine print.
  4. Simplicity in Manufacturing: Applying colored bands during production is often simpler and more cost-effective than printing precise values, especially for mass production.
  5. Visual Recognition: Experienced technicians can quickly gauge resistor values using color codes, making troubleshooting and assembly faster.
While printed values are becoming more common in modern electronics, especially in larger components, the color band system remains a classic and effective method for indicating resistor values.

All of those are good reasons to have a cap color code as well, but that seems not to be how things evolved. So what makes resistors special?

I'm sure you all have all seen resistors that are mostly cylindrical but flat on one side. So printing (likely silk screen) was a solved problem.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm sure you all have all seen resistors that are mostly cylindrical but flat on one side. So printing (likely silk screen) was a solved problem.
Picture? I don't remember this description...

I don't have any around. They are cylindrical with one flat side, which is printed. They seen to come mostly in pastels.

berkeman said:
I don't remember this description
I don't remember that either.

Hmm, my Google Images search came up empty, so maybe they were very unique parts? Where do you remember seeing them? Inside an accelerator someplace? :wink:

phinds said:
Well, the small ones (quarter Watt) WERE pretty small even back then. Maybe printer technology wasn't up to it at the time, given that it was a small cylindrical shape.
I think this was probably the reason, with the small diameter cylindrical shape being hard to print on at the time (especially with the coating material of the resistors). Capacitors were more disk-shaped, so easier to print on their mostly flat surfaces. I don't recall any caps with the same small radius shape as small-wattage resistors at that time.

32kHz watch crystals were probably pretty common at the same time, and definitely were printed on. Was it because of the metal can material versus the ceramic-like material coating the resistors?

1729034936263.png

Attachments

• 1729034906026.png
    1729034906026.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 1
Capacitors have had color codes in the past.
-
https://www.tpub.com/neets/book2/3g.htm
-
I've seen leaded resistors with the value printed on. These were precision parts. Less than 1% tolerance if I recall correctly.

Back in the day when our PTH 1/4W resistors were hand stuffed on PCBs, the engineers had to ask our manufacturing people (yes we did our own PCB assembly back then!) to please make the printed values point up where we could read them. This was because they made a lot of mistakes that we had to correct. Part of their fix was to go to back to the color code for a while.

Now that this is automated, many tiny components have to labels at all.

It did not start with color code. The oldest (I met with) were mostly printed.
rstaende-der-50er-und-60er-Jahre-aus-Roehrenradios.jpg
x555sehenfastwiekondensatorenaus.jpg

By size, that time there were some smaller printed ones than banded ones. So I think size constraints does not apply as reason.

My guess: they lost on competition. The banded ones are with centered leads, the printed ones were often oriented.
In manufacturing, that means banded could be rolled around fast and easy => cheaper.
In supply, centered leads could be packed more compact.
In assembly, centered leads (bended on the fly during assembly) requires less attention and cheaper machinery.

The centered&printed ones still required attention on orientation to be useful.

As for why the caps stayed with printing... I think that might have been about the variation. More details needed to be visible? Voltage and type did the trick? So it was about the caps being special, not the resistors? Honestly, no idea.

Last edited: