Resistor & power dissipated question-

In summary, the maximum value for the resistance R in terms of E and r, for which the power dissipated by the load resistor is at a maximum, is equal to the internal resistance r. This can be derived using Kirchoff's Loop Law and the equation P = I^2R. The limits of R=0 and R=infinity show that maximum power is achieved at an intermediate resistance value, and solving for the derivative of the power equation leads to R=r as the maximum value.
bcjochim07
Resistor & power dissipated question--please help

Homework Statement

Load resistor R is attached to a battery with EMF E and internal resistance r. For what value of the resistance R in terms of E and r will the power dissipated by the load resistor be a maximum?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, first utilizing Kirchoff's Loop Law:

E-Ir-IR = 0
E - I(r+R) = 0
I(r+R) = E
r + R = E/I
R= E/I - r

the answer is r, but I'm not understanding why the resistor has to have a maximum value, or how to get r.

Physics news on Phys.org

bcjochim07 said:

Homework Statement

Load resistor R is attached to a battery with EMF E and internal resistance r. For what value of the resistance R in terms of E and r will the power dissipated by the load resistor be a maximum?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, first utilizing Kirchoff's Loop Law:

E-Ir-IR = 0
E - I(r+R) = 0
I(r+R) = E
r + R = E/I
R= E/I - r

the answer is r, but I'm not understanding why the resistor has to have a maximum value, or how to get r.

To see why there is a specific R value that corresponds to a maximum value, you can just think of the limits: if R=0, then the resistor R dissipates no power at all (because I2R=0). If R goes to infinity, the power dissipated again goes to zero, because the very large R causes the current to go to zero, so again I2R goes to zero.

So for very large and very small R values, the power goes to zero, so the maximum power corresponds to some intermediate resistance.

To actually calculate it, write an expression for the power dissipated by R. You can then take the derivative and set it equal to zero to find the maximum.

Ok, I just got it. I tried first substituting into P = IV and then P=V^2/R, and finally
P=I^2R worked for me to get R=r.

bcjochim07 said:
Ok, I just got it. I tried first substituting into P = IV and then P=V^2/R, and finally
P=I^2R worked for me to get R=r.

Right, I2R is the easiest way (I think) to get it.

You can get it with the others, but for V you have to use the potential difference across just the resistor R. For example:

[tex]
I V = \left(\frac{E}{R+r}\right)\ \left( E \frac{R}{R+r}\right)
[/tex]
which of course ends up the same as I2R which you used.

Related to Resistor & power dissipated question-

1. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that restricts the flow of current in a circuit. It is typically made of a material with high resistance, such as carbon or metal, and is used to control the amount of electricity flowing through a circuit.

2. How do you calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor is calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). This can be represented as R = V/I. The unit of resistance is ohms (Ω).

3. What is the power dissipated by a resistor?

The power dissipated by a resistor is the amount of energy converted into heat as current flows through it. It is calculated using the formula P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes.

4. How does the power dissipated by a resistor affect its temperature?

The power dissipated by a resistor is directly proportional to its temperature. As more power is dissipated, the temperature of the resistor will increase. This is why resistors are often designed with a maximum power rating to prevent overheating.

5. What is the difference between power dissipation and power rating for a resistor?

Power dissipation is the actual amount of power that is converted into heat by a resistor. On the other hand, power rating refers to the maximum amount of power that a resistor can safely handle without overheating. It is usually listed on the resistor's packaging or datasheet.

Back